san francisco 4th of july

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 11:13 AM
julie

san francisco 4th of july

we'll be in san francisco over the 4th of july holiday...trying to find out if there any great fireworks or street festivals going on. (have seen some things about the sf symphony show but i am under the impression that this not in the city and i probably won't have a car.)

also i can't make up my mind between staying at the palace or the st. francis...or would it be worth the trouble to stay at both?

ps. any suggestions for great brewpubs?

thanks! julie

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 11:30 AM
julie

oops! i didn't mean to post this twice...i've got this kooky new mouse and i was going for scroll not "click". i tried to stop it but it was too late...sorry everyone!

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 11:58 AM
Paul

Hi ...

I was there last July 4th and am going again. Yes, there are fireworks but you'll never know if you'll see them because of the fog. We went to a terrific street fair last year called Jazz on Fillmore...I have to think it's an annual event every July 4th weekend. Also, we strongly suggest a trip to Sonoma for small town charm on July 4th and great food at Babbette's.

Paul

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 12:39 PM
Karen

Redwood City (about 20-25 miles south of SF) also has a good fireworks show and you can actually see it! You can get there and back on Caltrain (just don't go alone, as the SF Caltrain station is in a hinky neighborhood and you'd be coming back after dark). You could get there early too and go to the downtown RWC carnival.

As for the hotel dilemma, I would just stay at one of them. Why make yourself pack and unpack more than you have to! Never stayed at the Palace, but I do know that I like the St. Francis. It's gorgeous and in a great location.

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 01:37 PM
kam

Hi Julie, Some good advice here. Stay at either hotel, but plan to have tea ( or a glass of wine) in the lobby of the other. I would favor the St. Francis just a bit because it's in a more interesting neighborhood, across from Union Square and the cable cars. The Palace is just off Market in a more "downtown office building" location. True about the fog and fireworks. You'll have to plan that by ear---they would be on the Embarcadero, if not too foggy. RWC would be an alternative--they are in the Bay, south of SF so less likely to have fog. Suggest you search for SFGate from the SF Cronicle about street fairs etc. Right now (one week ahead)it's very warm, but that can change in an instant. Better to check just before departure. I think the SF Symphony concerts you are talking about are those at Stern Grove in the Sunset District. You'd need to confirm when and how. Try calling the Symphony Association at 415-552-8000. Not to worry though, you'll always find something wonderful to do in San Francisco.

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 03:55 PM
cp

You asked about brewpubs and no one answered.

I like the Thirsty Bear the best, it's downtown on, oh say 2nd and Howard area.
Also good is 20 Tanks which is in the Club zone of SOMA I think on 10th or 11th. I know there is another one, but I can't think of it at the moment.

There are a number of other bars where there is a mind boggling amount of draft available, but these aren't places that brew their own.

Also there's supposed to be a big "multi-location" street fair happening down near Hyde St pier and the Cannery on.

There will be a Free music concert in Stern Grove (complete other side of the city out near the zoo). I think it is Opera. Anyhow, the show starts at 2:00pm on Sunday, but you need to be there with a blanket and something to read, no later that 12 or 12:30. This park is very accessible by MUNI metro, so don't worry about not having a car.

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 08:24 PM
Dayle

Julie, I was in SF a couple years ago fon the 4th. We had a BBQ and party at someone's house in the Marina district. Then went up on the roof and watched fireworks all around the bay. We could see 4 major displays all at once. No fog that night and it was great!

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 09:14 AM
ca

I was in SF last month and stayed down by the Embarcadero. There was a new brewpub next door to The Crazy Horse.I don't recall the name but it appeared crowded. Boulevard is nearby on the smae street. Perhaps someone more familiar could identify the pub.

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 09:41 AM
cp

Ahh, right, that's what I was trying to think of. I think she means Gordon Biersch on the Embarcadero, near Palomino Euro Bistro. The beer is good, love the building, the food is only so-so.

We're having incredible, beautiful ACTUAL summer weather lately. Cross your fingers and hope it continues.

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 11:19 AM
ca

Thx, Claudia. Knew you'd know the place...It looked good but we didn't have time to try it...we were at a meeting.

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 12:30 PM
kam

Gordon Biersch does have garlic fries to die for, if you like really garlicky stuff! Keeping our fingers crossed for a fog free 4th!