Reload this Page >

San Fran Tours - which one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 12:27 PM
Kathy

I would like feedback on San Francisco tours. Has anyone taken Grayline or the Victorian Home Walk? Or are there other to recommend? It's my husband's 1st time in the city (July) and I want to hit the high points in a short time and then explore more fully on our own.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 03:18 PM
Debbie

Hi Kathy - The Chinatown Walking Tour is good, if you're interested in anything along those lines. Your tour will include a delicious lunch at a local restaurant.

Enjoy San Francisco !!

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 05:28 PM
karen

Dear Kathy,
It sounds like you've been to San Fran.
& its the first time for your husband. What a great trip. The Grayline tours are really good. They do sell tickets for tours at a station located at Boudins Restaurant right at Fisherman's Wharf.. They have a tour where they give you an overview of the sights & neighborhoods and then you get unlimited on/off priviledges at several location in the city at specified bus stops, its a trolley on wheels type of vehicle. There is also a walking tour of Chinatown that includes a traditional chinese lunch & dim sum & that is a fun trip. Hope you make a time
for trolley museum & some real italian food in the north beach area. Have fun.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 05:52 PM
kam

Grayline is a good orientation tour, but please, please, go out and explore the city on your own after that. You really don't need organized tours to see San Francisco. It's a small city with good transportation and most everything within walking distance. Do consider the tour of Alcatraz, however, with the video which can be booked ahead and is worth it.There's another walking tour of North Beach and the old Italian neighborhood. Make use of the concierge in your hotel. Enjoy!

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 09:29 AM
Bob

If you are planning an Alcatraz tour you need to book a reservation in advance. Most days in the summer they are sold out ahead of time. I would book them now for a July trip to be sure you can do it.

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 10:07 PM
Keith Miller

will be visiting my brother in July I'm from Michigan. can't recall the name of the street but it's called " the most crocked street in the world". that to me was fun driving down it as a kid. Comedian Bill Cosby explaned that they plant flowers not for looks but because they're grave sites for those who take the road too fast. speed limit there is 5mph but you maybe going slower then that depending on traffic.

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 08:43 AM
kam

Lombard Street. Another twisty one goes up to Coit Tower. You can get wonderful info from the Visitors and Convention Bureau and on SFGate--the newspaper site.

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 03:58 AM
Kathy

Take any of the Gray Line Tours. It's worth the money. Try the Victorian Home Walk...www.Victorianwalk.com. Nice walk, about 2-2 1/2 hours. NO HILLS!!! Walk LOMBARD STREET. Visit China Town. Visit Alcatraz!