Search

whitewater rafting

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 1999, 07:08 PM
anna

whitewater rafting

Heading to Yellowstone in Late June. Staying at Colter Bay campground. Looking for a half-day to whole-day whitewater rafting trip in Jackson Hole area that is safe enought for kids ages 10, 12, 15, but with enough whitewater to keep them excited. Does it exist?

Old May 25th, 1999, 07:55 PM
Dayle

Anna, yes there are many offering "float" trips down the Snake. Just contac the Jackson Chamber of Commerce and the very nice folks there will give you some numbers to reserve ahead. It's a popular thing.

Old May 26th, 1999, 09:11 AM
Elaine

Anna,
We are also going out West, and Barker-Ewing has been highly recommended as a safe but enjoyable rafting adventure. They do have a webpage, but I don't have it handy. Just do a search...I believe they are located in Jackson. Received this recommendation from 3 different sources.
Hope this helps,
Elaine

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 05:39 PM
Mary Ann

Anna,

We just returned from Jackson Hole. We took a rafting trip down the Snake River in Jackson Hole. I must tell you that the trip was rough. The water is extremely high and very cold. The day we rafted, they told us the water was 38 degrees. We had to wear wet suits and got so cold that my legs were numb when I got out of the raft. We had previously rafted some eastern rivers and had a fun time. We were told that the rapids on the Snake were class III and IV. They felt like class IV. We lost several people during the ride (including my 17 year old son and his 17 year old friend.) We were able to get them back into the raft. There were two little girls aged 10 and 12 in the raft. Both were very frightened. I was very glad to be finished with the trip. Perhaps the ride is not so rough when the water is not so high, but I would not go on the same trip again. We rafted with Lone Eagle. The guides were very experienced and went a long way in helping (by grabbing hold) keep people in the raft. They did an excellent job, but the water was simply too high and cold and rough for me. I have heard that the river out of Cody (Shoshone ?)is not so rough, but I do not know this first hand. Wyoming is one of the most beautiful places on earth. There are many things to see and do. Have a wonderful time.

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 09:39 PM
anna

Just got back from the trip. Went with Barker-Ewing. Didn't lose anyone and the kids had a great time. Water was 42 degrees on June 21 and almost at record heights. I've got some other info on various other companies to share but I have to dig out the brochures I collected. Check back in a few days if you want more info.

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 07:51 PM
anna

OK, here is the info. I picked up some brochures in Jackson Hole after our raft trip and made some cost comparisons. Assuming Lone Eagle (800-321-3800) has good equipment and trained professional guides, they are probably a better deal than Barker-Ewing. We paid $35 for adults and $27 for kids for just the ride and transportation back and forth the the put-in and take-out points in an old school bus. I see by the brochure that for $31 Lone Eagle offers the same trip with the addition of a hamburger lunch or dinner, a hot shower, and access to their heated pool and hot tub after the ride. Wish we had known that, since Colter Bay RV park charged us 3 bucks apeice to take a shower (that's where we camped in the Tetons). Lone Eagle, though, advertises "Smaller Rafts for a Wilder Ride", and I think smaller rafts may be less stable. Barker-Ewing did offer large rafts where we did not have to help paddle and therefore could hold on with both hands, which I felt would be safer for the kids. Check out the size of the rafts and decide whether or not you want to help paddle the thing. Charlie Sands (800-358-8184) offers the "Sit down and hold on tight" option for $34/$29, Lewis and Clark (800-824-5375) charges $33/$27 for the big rafts, and $36/$33 for the smaller rafts, with a steak dinner for just $5 more. Jackson Hole Whitewater (888-700-RAFT) offers trips that include breakfast or dinner for $34/$29. Mad River (800-458-RAFT) provides helmets and transports you in an air-conditioned motor coawch with video players, which would have been nice when we got stuck at the road construction site for ONE HOUR on our way back.
Anyway, they all offer the exact same 8-mile trip, which takes an hour when the water is really high like it was last week, and up to 2 hours later in the summer), so call around and compare what they have to offer. There are also two photographers on the river who will get great video and stills of you going over the biggest rapids, which you will pay through the nose for but they are worth it. My best advice would be to go with the bigger rafts and skip the U-paddle option if you have small kids (Under 15 or so)

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 08:16 PM
Dayle

Anna & Mary Ann, I'm a skier and track these things. Jackson Hole had a second biggest ever snowfall year, something like 750 inches. Their average is more like 450 inches. On top of that, it has been a very cool spring and summer so far, so you can understand why the rivers are running so high. People just have to remember that when they play outdoors, Mother Nature has something to say about it and conditions can vary greatly year-to-year. Glad you had good trips. The Tetons and Yellowstone truly are amazing.

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 05:19 AM
Elaine

Anna,
Thanks for writing such an informative post. Have printed it out, as we are vacationing in Jackson Hole late August. Did you book in advance or wait until you arrived?
Elaine

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 10:00 AM
anna

Booked from a pay phone in the Black Hills a few days before we arrived in Wyoming. This was 6/21. The lady said it is sometimes possible to get on a boat the same day at that time of year but risky. In August I would suggest booking at least a week in advance, if not two.The water level should be n

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 10:00 AM
anna

Booked from a pay phone in the Black Hills a few days before we arrived in Wyoming. This was 6/21. The lady said it is sometimes possible to get on a boat the same day at that time of year but risky. In August I would suggest booking at least a week in advance, if not two.The water level should be n

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 10:03 AM
anna

Sorry, my computer got the hiccups before I was ready to post. What I meant to say was that the water level should be more reasonable by August. The lady did say it was pretty darn close to all-time record levels in June this year. Sure was fun, though.