San Fran & Napa Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need restaurant suggestions for both cities for the long weekend of Oct. 6 for three ladies. Something not so stuffy that doesn't need reservations...we'd like to "wing it" and go as is, in our shopping clothes! =)

Thanks!
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 05:23 PM

Near Napa, try Mustard's Grill. It sounds just like what you're looking for!

Old Sep 25th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

One more thing...we're staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area, but the restaurant suggestions don't have to be limited to there!

Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 06:06 AM

We also stayed in the Fisherman's Wharf. Many other people here have more experience than we, but we happened to go in Cioppino's (down at the left end of the Wharf, when you're facing the water) and had a great Italian/Seafood meal. We were dressed casually.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 08:15 AM
je

Tadich Grill on California St in San Francisco is one of the oldest and best seafood restaurants in the City. I don't think they take reservations and you may have a wait on the weekend. Probably closed Sunday.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 10:26 AM

The Wappo Bar & Bistro is very good, in Calistoga. We like to eat outside under the wisteria vines. www.wappobar.com ***kim***
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 11:26 AM

Anything really good in the Napa Valley will probably require reservations on a weekend. Doesn't mean it's a stuffy restaurant, could be quite casual, but if the food is notable, you risk getting turned away without a rez.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 07:08 PM

trinke: It will be dificult to get into any restaurant that is good in either Napa or San Francisco without a reservation. Mustards doesn't take reservations and is very good. It is in Yountville, a little further than Napa, but right on the main thoroughfare (Highway 29). If you go early, say about five-thirty, you won't wait long. They have a bar and a very crowded waiting area. Get your drink and take it outside to one of the seating areas and be sure to tell the hostess you will be outside. One of my favorites.
Don't eat in the wharf area of San Francisco. I don't know Cioppino's, but thr restaurants in this area tend to be so-so. Go up into North Beach (not very far) and take in the Italian or Asian area for some really good food. The prices run the whole gaumet from upscale/high to very casual/inexpensive. You will enjoy walking the area as it is very quaint and interesting. If we knew ahat you like amd what you want to spend, we can probably direct you to a good restaurant. Some don't require reservations. You simply get on the list and wait. Good luck and enjoy our fair City. The weather at this time of year is usually spectacular.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 07:38 PM

I agree with geogri's thoughts.
A very good restaurant in North Beach is the Mona Lisa. Owner and all employees from Italy. It is on Columbus, just past Vallejo St., on the right side (west side). People line up on the sidewalk to get a table but if you arrive early am sure you can reserve a table.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 07:16 AM

I second that on lunch in Calistoga @ Wappo. We stopped in there during our trip on a whim - you must try the chile rellenos with pomegranate walnut sauce (one of their specialties).

In SF - not sure if you're planning on going beyond Union Square for shopping (you definitely should if you're into the cute little boutiques). I was just in town a week ago and spent a whole day at the Union St. shopping district. Some great options for lunch and dinner there include Betelnut - didn't eat there, but the restaurant which serves contemporary Asian food, spills out onto the sidewalk and the food looked really tasty and it was pretty crowded. We had dinner at Rica, which I highly recommend. It's a little nuevo latino tapas place - fantastic mojitos and margaritas in great flavors and the food was to die for - we loved everything we had. Great staff too - one of the bartenders ended up coming out with us after his shift was over.

Also, in Pacific Heights Plumpjack Cafe is my ultimate favorite lunch spot for a bit of a splurge. Incredibly fresh - I had one of the best salads of my entire life there. The artisan cheese offering also great. (When my boyfriend and I tried it several months ago, we ended up having a 2 hour lunch there.)
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Traveldiva, don't you love the spring water infused with cucumber, lemon and mint that they serve at Wappo? So refreshing! ***kim***
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 11:01 AM

A bit of warning about Tadich Grill. A group of 5 of us had lunch there, including drinks and wines. Although our bill was about $350, they added an extra charge of about $25 to our bill, because the "90 year old mother" in the group only wanted soup. They had a minimum per person charge and don't average. So if someone isn't hungry you might want to look elsewhere. I thought that was the worst rip-off policy I'd ever heard of, considering how much we were spending as a group for lunch! We thought sure the waiter was in error with the policy until the manager came and insisted that yes the minimum is per person regardless!
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Kim- I love the water! I can taste it now, though it's been a few months.
Yum!
Liz
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 03:10 PM

Patrick, I am sorry you had this experience. I would have been furious. The truth is that Tadick Grill is always grumpy and rude. Maybe they have been there too long! I have had some great meals there but the one time I didn't, oh boy, did I get the cold treatment! Too funny, I say now, but not at the time.