Callistoga & San Fran CA - Restaurant?

Mar 29th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Callistoga & San Fran CA - Restaurant?

In mid April, we'll be in Callistoga 2 days after 2 in Yosemite, 4 in Carmel and prior to 5 in San Francisco. With that in mind, anyone recommend a place to eat in Callistoga?
Also we have reservations for dinner in San Fran at Fleur de Lys - any comments?
Mar 29th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Fleur de Lys is a good choice. Expensive with a fixed price menu of several choice levels. If you are planning on bringing your own Dom Perignon, their corkage is $35. Had dinner there several months ago.

San Francisco is a gourmet paradise. Personally, if I were to spend that kind of money, I'd prefer Gary Danko's or Jardiniere.

I don't dine much in Calistoga, prefering Yountville instead. Generally the restaurants are better in Yountville, IMHO. My favorite there is Bistro Jeanty.

Hope this helps.
Mar 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM

We enjoy Wappo's bistro in Calistoga- especially eating outside under the trellises.
Mar 30th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

In SF we are staying in union square area and FdL looks to be close by. Thanks to all for info.
Mar 31st, 2007, 08:00 AM

I'd drop down to St. Helena or Yountville if your tastes equate to the Fleur de Lys. I've been to Calistoga at least 100 times (used to go monthly before it got too crowded) and there isn't anything of note, I thought the Wappo was so so.

I agree with the comment about Bistro Jeanty, yum!. If you just want to walk in and not get reservations, they have a communal table for people to sit at. Good, real bistro food from a true French Chef. Yountville is crawling with restaurants. Take the Silverado trail down as it's the faster trip and eastern Calistoga is right next to it.

Also, in St. Helena are a bunch of new restaurants and old, including the overhyped, overpriced and overrated French Laundry. My favorite restaurant there, by far, is Terra, with former Spago chef Hiro Sone and his wife Lissa. Check out their web site for details. They have a new restaurant, highly acclaimed in SF, called Ame.