Search

San Diego - Top Gun and Wine

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego - Top Gun and Wine

Hi there,

I am heading down to San Diego in a week with work (group of 10). I am trying to organize some night time events. I've heard that the Miramar Naval Base where they filmed Top Gun offers tours and a dinner. I can't seem to find any information on this. Has anyone heard about this and could point me in the right direction?

Also I would like to take my team to a winery for a tour/ dinner any suggestions?

Any other suggestions for night events for a team of 10 would GREATLY be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:41 PM

We did an event at Miramar for a sales meeting and it was a hoot - but we were a group of about 250. We arrived just as the last training flights of the day were landing and got to see that. Then we were allowed to tour though/get into various types of planes and talk with a pilot (2 or 3 for each type of plane). After that there was a major party - buffet dinner/dancing with two bands - in a huge (hangar?) structure - again mingling with a lot of the pilots - and playing with some of their video games and simulators (flying a fighter jet is really scary - even in a fantasy).

The group voted this the best event we ever had. And it was hideously expensive.

It seemed like Miramar was almost an hour from San Diego.

Not sure what would be offered for a "tour" versus a private event. I didn;t make all the arrangements - one of my juniors did - contacted the post PR person to get info. But - this was pre 9/11 - they may no longer do it.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Barring bad traffic, Miramar is about 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, just off the I-15 freeway. However, it is no longer a naval air station and the Top Gun school is no longer located there. It is now Miramar Marine Corps Air Station.

Given the higher level of security after 9/11, I'd be surprised if they allow civilians aboard without a sponsor. The easiest way to find out would be to call the Public Information Office.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips!

Can you offer any other team/ group events?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Check Thee Bungalow in Ocean Beach or the sister Seafood restaurant 3rd Corner X the street for a nice wine dinner. www.theebungalow.com
NAS Miramar has been gone for quite a while - now a MCAS as was mentioned - not quite as "white shoe", lol.
M
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Call the SD Convention & Visitor's Bureau. They specialize in helping people plan events.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:01 AM

You also mentioned a winery tour. The wineries in Temecula are about an hour north or San Diego and several of them are very nice, Callaway, Thornton, Ponte, Wilson Creek to name a few. This time of year of course the vines are without leaves but you could check with the Temecula Winegrowers. Association. Their website is: www.temeculawines.org/

The wine tasting rooms are usually open 10-5 each day. Thornton Winery is the only one, I believe, who has a restaurant open at night. It's an awarding winning restaurant and rather pricey but good food and ambiance. If you go out there during the day, check out the Almond Champagne at Wilson Creek Winery. It might sound awful but it's actually very good and their wine tasting room is always full because of the reputation for this champagne.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:21 AM
ltt

a good idea for the wine tasting is rent a limo and let them drive you around to various wineries.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:20 AM
GoTravel

We were invited to a concert at Miramar last spring. The party was for at least 5,000 and it was wonderful. I'd contact the public information office on Miramar.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:30 AM

3rd corner has closed as a restaurant. It is available now for private parties only...
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:46 PM

I would also say Temecula for the wine dinner. Thornton has a spectacular set up.