Search

San Diego to Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego to Oregon

My boyfriend and I are taking a trip for 10 nights in February. We are looking for tips on what to see and which routes to take.

We will have our dog with us and are looking to sight see and hike where we can bring her with us. If necessary, we will find a doggy day care for a few hours to visit areas that are not so dog friendly.

Since we are traveling in February, we plan to stay in dog friendly, budget friendly, hotels.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 06:07 AM

Ten days in insufficient to visit these three states. Considering time restrictions and weather conditions, I suggest you focus your attention on California. Some of our favorite destinations in California are the redwoods, Napa and Sonoma Valley, San Francisco, and Highway 1 from San Francisco to Cambria. There are many cities, towns, and natural attractions to fill other days to overflowing.

HTtY
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 06:10 AM

Perhaps I misunderstood. If you are driving from San Diego of a mystery destination in Washington and staying at that place I would have mentioned the redwoods of Northern California, the Oregon Coast from Brookings to Cannon Beach, and the Columbia River Gorge.

HTtY
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response! We are planning a round trip in 10 days. We aren't sure how far north we want to (or can) go because of our time constraints. We did a similar trip not too long ago (San Diego to San Francisco). We drove up the coast and back down on the 5 so we saw quite a bit of the Central Coast of CA.

North of SF though, we aren't sure what the big ticket items are to see and how to prioritize them. I'd like to stop in at a lighthouse or two.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 12:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
First day drive to Sacramento on I-5. Find a pet friendly motel.
Second day drive to Ashland or Medford. http://www.expedia.com/Medford-Hotel...-Filter-Hotels
Take a day trip from there to Crater Lake NP via Rt. 62. The lodge will be closed until at least May but they keep the parking lots open. You can take your dog on the snow as long as you keep it leashed. Don't let the dog or a person get too close to the edge. A novice snowshoe hiker was killed in March when he went out onto a snow cornice which broke off.
Leaving Crater Lake, head for Grants Pass and take US 199 to US 101 near Eureka. Take 2 or 3 days to get from Eureka to SF.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the explanation. The main reason to go to northern California is to see the redwoods which you can also see in abundance near San Franciso.

Have you considered driving east, or have you done that too often? In addition to the obvious (Anza-Borrego, Palm Springs, Death Valley, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon), the countryside around Tucson and south of Tucson is appealing to us, and you may like it too. You could drive to Tucson via Yuba.

HTtY