Vacationing San Francisco to Crater Lake

Old May 31st, 2015, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacationing San Francisco to Crater Lake

Hey,
I am trying to figure best itinerary for an upcoming vacation with my mother in law(83 yrs young), my disabled sister in law, and my husband. We will be flying in to San Francisco and I know my mother in law wants to see redwoods and my husband wants to go to Crater Lake. We have 10 days for vacation and I am trying to figure best places to stay/visit. Thanks for any suggestions
Old May 31st, 2015, 12:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
How soon is your "upcoming vacation"? Were you planning on spending one or more nights in San Francisco?
Does either MIL or SIL require a wheelchair or walker?
Leaving San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge the first stop would be Muir Woods to see Coast Redwoods.
It is your choice whether you want to drive up US 101 to go see Redwood NP near Crescent City, CA.
If you do go by way of Crescent City, take US 199 off 101 to get to Grants Pass, OR. A slight detour off 199 is the Oregon Caves National Monument.
When you get to I-5 near Grants Pass, take I-5 south to the exit for Gold Hill. Take Rt. 234 out of Gold Hill to Rt. 62 which leads to the south entrance of Crater Lake NP.
If you can't get a reservation at the Crater Lake lodge, try the Prospect Hotel In Prospect.
If you didn't want to go any further north than Crater Lake, take Rt. 62 east to US 97. Take US 97 south through K-Falls and all the way to Weed CA.
Take I-5 south from Weed to get on I-505 to I-80 back to San Francisco.
Old May 31st, 2015, 12:51 PM

There are redwoods very near San Francisco, but if you want to see the ones in the far north of California, drive up 101.

I would then drive to Bandon to take in a spectacular stretch of the Oregon coastline.

Crater Lake is about a three-hour drive from Bandon.

Ashland, home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, would be a good place to spend a night on your way back to San Francisco.

HTtY
Old May 31st, 2015, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the input and ideas, we plan on traveling end of August into September. Yes I do think my MIL does want to see some of San Francisco also. Neither one of them need a wheelchair but do move slow
Thanks
Old May 31st, 2015, 05:37 PM

Muir woods is a day trip only from SF. If you drive up #101 to Oregon it will take forever. From SF, I'd head over to I-5 instead. Its a bit boring but fast, up to Oregon. Yes stay in Ashland and see some great theatre.. not just Shakespeare if that's not your thing. Crater lake is not far from Ashland. You could then drive up to Portland and fly home from there, or drive back to SF via the coast, or I-5 depending on how much time you have.
Old May 31st, 2015, 06:02 PM

The Prospect Hotel is a great place to stay but a word about the accommodations
The Inn itself is decorated in a vintage style. Back of the main building, is more of a motel like building. It's clean, but nothing fancy- like a motel 6. I don't remember seeing an elevator in the main inn so that might pose a problem.

The Prospect has a dining room with excellent food- not much else in town except a pizza place.