San Diego or Santa Barbara or Big Sur?

Apr 21st, 2007, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

San Diego or Santa Barbara or Big Sur?

Hi again. I'm really stuck as to where to stay at the end of our trans US trip. We've been to San Francisco already - and also to LA (and Santa Monica/Malibu) We'd like to finish off our trip with a few days of relaxing. Our stop before will probably be Sequoia NP (hub wants to go there again .... ) We will have 3 or 4 days before having to fly home (from LA). So there are 3 options - down to San Diego or Santa Barbara or driving across to Monterey/Carmel and driving down the coast. Any suggestions would be gratefully received - thank you.
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:14 AM

If you want to end with a few days of relaxation, I would go to Monterey/Carmel and the Coast.
San Diego is a wonderful destination, but it's far from relaxing.
You could also end with the Northern California coast, above San Francisco,
in towns like Point Reyes or Gualala.
Our favorite is a town of Elk, just above Gualala. It's a charming, quaint little town with awesome ocean views.
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:06 AM

As you're flying home from LA, Santa Barbara or San Diego would be more practical. San Diego can be as relaxing as you want to be, but there are the options of things to see and do.
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:09 AM

If I had 3 nights out of LA, I would keep it to the coast, maybe a Santa Barbara and up to Pismo Beach combination.
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM

when are you going to be there? If it is July-Sept and you want to go into the ocean, then I would pick San Diego.
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM

The "when are you going" question is an important one.
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:55 AM
TahitiTams

Hey that was my question trippin..

Apr 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM

Great minds think alike TahitiTams! Actually, I stole it from bigtyke. ;-)
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all suggestions, which I'm still mulling over. I hadn't thought of Pismo Beach ... although I think that San Diego is my personal favourite place to go - we could take in a day trip to Mexico ... or is that too much of a hassle? We will be there, probably, the beginning of July next year.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM

I would stay one day in Carmel then drive along the coast and stay two days in S.Barbara.Paul
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:05 AM

From San Francisco, it is a real haul to go to San Diego, then back to L.A.
Very relaxing would be 2-3 nites in Carmel, staying in the village so you can walk to everything, then down the spactacular Big Sur Highway, staying in Cambria or Santa Barbara.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:24 AM

I vote for Big Sur, simply because with the other big cities, I would want a more relaxed, country destination. Have not been to Santa Barbara, however - have heard it's pretty nice. Of course, the northern CA coast (Point Reyes, Mendo, etc., all the way up to OR) gets my #1 vote, almost all the time, wherever I am that's anywhere close to SF! But that's probably too much driving from Sequoia NP. Other alternatives might be even further out east - Mono Lake, Bodie Ghost Town, and thereabouts.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM

It's a relatively straight drive south from Sequoia to San Diego. The weather should be good, but sometimes we still ahve a bit of early morning gloom over the beach areas. I would not recommend a day trip to Mexico. If you're inclined to do more than sit on the beach, or round a pool, there's a lot to see in San Diego.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM

Wildblueyonder - if you are not American, the 4th of July is a national holiday and many Americans go on vacation around this time. It might be fun to see some fireworks where you go.

I enjoyed San Diego but Santa Barbara is really beautiful too.

Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi 5Alive
No, I'm not American, but we did experience 4th July in the USA last year! We were in Cody, WY and very much enjoyed the parade, rodeo and, of course, the fireworks! Magic! Actually, I am wondering if we will manage to take in 4th July again next year and, if so, where would be the best place to enjoy it! But I'm still pondering where to stay in Calif ...
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:44 AM

I live in San Diego and though it's beautiful here, I'd go to Santa Barbara. It's one of my favorite places. We're going in August for my husband's birthday. I agree about not going to Mexico.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:55 AM

Carmel would be very relaxing, La Playa is a nice historical hotel that is walking distance to shops and the beach. ***kim***