San Diego July 4th Fireworks-Where???

Mar 12th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

San Diego July 4th Fireworks-Where???

Looks as if we will be in San Diego over the 4th wknd. In the past I understand there have been fireworks displays launched from barges in the bay. We are tentatively staying at the Marriott on Harbor Drive and wondered if that would be a good viewing point. Suggestions appreciated and thanks.
Mar 13th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Topping
Mar 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM

It seems like it would be a decent spot to see both the firework at San Diego Bay and Coronado. Do they have an area with access, a roof deck perhaps?
Mar 13th, 2010, 07:54 AM

You'll be able to see Coronado's fireworks and the barges in the SD Bay too.
Lots of people will be hanging at Harbor Island where your hotel is to hang around the bay.
Your in a perfect location.
Mar 13th, 2010, 08:26 AM

It will be crowded. Very crowded. Will you have a room with a balcony?
Mar 13th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ALL for responding. Yes, we have purposely booked a balcony room with a bay view and will more than likely get a high floor. We are looking forward to being in San Diego once again.
Mar 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Dukey..
Make sure you make a run to Point Loma Seafoods about 3-5 minutes up to the next island, Shelter Island off of Harbor drive..great calamari and scallop sandwich.
Brigantine in Shelter Island has great everyday happy hour with the best fish tacos.
Take the water taxi over to Coronado..utilize your shuttle service.
Are you going to rent a car?
It'll be perfect boogie board weather..snorkeling too in LJ.

www.sdhe.com
www.brigantine.com
Mar 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM

ksucat,

the OP states that he'll be staying at the Marriot on Harbor Drive which is downtown next to the convention center. Not on harbor island. Just don't want the OP to be confused that shelter island will be that close to their hotel.

Dukey, The a balcony room at the Marriot can be a very good viewing place but it depends on which direction you are facing the harbor. I had relatives staying at that hotel one year over July 4th and their room faced the harbor towards the coronado bridge. this was not a good viewing room as the barges that are placed in the harbor were all on the other side of the hotel. So do make sure your room faces the north side of the bay.
Mar 13th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Ksucat and Joeyi,

Thanks for all the additional info.

Yes, will have a rental car and thanks for the dining info

As to those Marriott balcony rooms. Have stayed in this hotel once before and know about the bldg curvature and the balcony room positions. Last time we did, in fact, have a balcony room which had a view of the bridge and I kinda figured we would want a room which looks more east to even north so am planning to ask for that upon check-in. Even with a so-called "higher" awards level this is often a crapshoot. If all else fails I suspect we could go down to the water's edge/Seaport Village and watch from there.

Again, I deeply appreciate everyone's taking the time to reply and offer additional and what seems to be very good advice.
Mar 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM

sounds like you know the building. and yes if you do not get the room you can go watch from anywhere along the shore. it will be mobbed with people but since you do not have to worry about driving home, just have fun and enjoy. the year my relatives were visiting we went up to the top of the Hyatt and watched them from up there. it was an interesting perspective but not sure I'd recommend. But do go up there sometime during your stay and enjoy the view.
Mar 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Glad you clarified this joey for me..I was thinking the Marriott on Harbor Island.
The water taxi picks up right around there.
That would be a fun adventure if you wanted to do Coronado for the 4th.
We sometimes take the boat over to Glorietta Bay and raft up with a bunch of other boats..if you can score something like that, I must tell you that is one hell of a good time!
Sounds like you have it figured out Dukey and how great is that..wonder if the Padres are in town during your stay?
Great Ballpark!
We like the Omni next to Petco for great everyday happy hour..
Have fun!
Mar 13th, 2010, 07:56 PM

The fireworks in Coronado are the best in SD in my opinion.
I remember years ago while at the Glorietta Bay Muni golf course which was where everyone went to watch the fireworks, suddenly the sprinklers came on, drenching everyone.

I recommend the 4th of July Parade in Coronado too.
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, and especially about the parade. Will definitely try to check that out while in town.
Mar 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM

The parade in Coronado is fun. Take the foot ferry across early in the morning, and stake out a spot on the west side of Orange Ave..

In the afternoon, the Navy Seals often put on a dramatic show in Glorietta Bay. There are paratroopers, people dropping out of helicopters, exploding "bombs", high speed boat chases, etc. Take a small radio to hear the narrative, and get a spot on the water near the Coronado boat house. Check with the Navy or the Coronado Eagle to make sure they're doing it this year.
Mar 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your reply, Icuy