4th of July in San Diego, best place for fireworks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying downtown at the Marriott Marina. On Sat we are going to the Padres and will see fireworks, but Sunday, after sitting around the pool all day, then dinner at Lou and Mickey's, thought it would be fun to go and watch the fireworks somewhere. Any ideas?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Take the ferry to Coronado early in the morning to watch the parade, then go back to the Marriott, and return later for the fireworks at 9pm. You would have to get there much earlier to find a space to sit, probably.

Alternatively, you could spend the day at the San Diego County Fair at the Del mar Fairgrounds. The Navy Band will be playing in the evening and fireworks are at 9pm. It will be VERY crowded. And that would mess up your relaxing plans for the pool!

There will be fireworks displays in various communities throughout the city, many coordinating with a local radio station - KYXY 96.5FM. These are also very good. If you go to the station's web site, I'm sure there will be a list of locations. They all start at 9pm.

Sea World also has fireworks which can be seen from most places around Mission Bay.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Barbara, that is more my question. Where could we go and set up lawn chairs to watch other fireworks. Not to necessarily have to be there, but a place to see the sky and watch various other displays. Like the Embarcardero maybe? Or some place like the Hyatt at the top, but that would be way crowded I would think, others having the same idea. If we were at the harbor, near the ferry, would we "see" the fireworks from Coronado? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Well, it's amazing what I can find out about my town that I didn't know!

In addition to all the things I mentioned before, there is a huge fireworks display right in (on?) San Diego Bay. The fireworks are on barges in the middle of the Bay. It is advertized as the biggest display in San Diego. It can be seen easily from anywhere along the northern end of the Bay,which is where the Embarcadero is, so park your chairs wherever you want. I've been to fireworks on the Bay before, though not for the Fourth, and the traffic afterwards is awful, so definitely walk. Oh,and it's simulcast with KMYI-FM 94.1. I think we may go to this one ourselves. Nice to have dinner at the Fish Market and watch the fireworks. I wonder if anyone else has thought of that!

You could also go on a cruise in the harbor. There are several organized just to view the fireworks. Wow, I'm glad you posted this.

http://www.thebigbay.com/events/index.asp?range=7/2004

Wear your Fodor's pin and I'll look out for you!

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Harbor Island by the airport is a great place. You will be able to catch the big show as described by the previous poster as well as the downtown, Coronado and beaches show in the distance. Had that experience last year, and it was amazing.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

So it sounds like Humphries would be THE place to stay on the fourth.

Thanks for the headsup, will definately check it out. Sounds like fun. I will wear my Fodor's pin, so look for me too.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Barbara, I checked out your website. Pretty cool and very helpful. Sounds like this will be fun.

We also are hoping to see the new Midway museum in that area. That looks to be very interesting also.

We don't usually stay in downtown, but with two teenagers, is turning out to have lots of things to do.

One more question if you read this. Do you think shops and downtown stuff will be open on the fourth of July?

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Horton Plaza, the shopping mall downtown, and all the many restaurants wil be open, I'm sure. As the Fourth is a Sunday, the offices would be closed anyway, but they'll probably also be closed on Monday July 5th.

We saw the Midway, but didn't visit, on Saturday when we had lunch at the Fish Market which is right next door. The Embarcadero area really does ahve a lot of interesting things to see now. Have you been on the Star of India? your teens might like to know that local elememtary school children - including mine! - get to stay overnight on the ship and play the roles of the original sailors. They eat a beef stew which they call "rat stew". My kids still talk about it, and one is graduating from high school tomorrow.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Wow, lots of typos, sorry.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

About five years ago I was taking my Mom and niece to the airport. We had a little time to kill so we went to the Star of India. My mom and I didn't care to take the tour, so paid for the kids. They went down below. The docent, about a 75 year old man, offered my mom and me a cup of tea. We sat and visited with the docent for about 30 minutes while the kids were checking out the living quarters. It was a cold, foggy morning, and the memory still warms my heart when I think about it. A special time.

Sorry, don't like the Fishmarket except for a bowl of chowder and the sour dough bread. We went there with big family group for Easter a few years ago and had a very expensive, mediochre meal. On the fourth we are going to eat at Lou and Mickeys on Fifth, kind of an East coast looking place with great fish, crab cakes and steaks. Have you tried it?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:44 AM

No, I haven't tried it. I have had mediocre meals at the fish Market, however we had a really lovely meal last weekend.

I haven't decided what to do on the Fourth. We were supposed to be in Moab, but my son is now taking a class and we can't go. Usually, we go to the beach for a while, then to fireworks somewhere close to home.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Well, whatever your plans to celebrate the fourth, have a fun one. And a safe one too.