San Diego hotels

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Susan

San Diego hotels

Where is the best place for a family of 5 to stay? Our children are 12, 14, and 17. I'd like a suite if possible and a nice pool area.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:00 AM
more

San Diego is huge. You need to define what you mean by "best" to get any help.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Susan

Well, I was sort of looking for advice on where to stay with teenagers. It sounds like Mission Bay would be a good choice??

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:19 AM
lovedsandiego

Try this:

http://www.pacificterrace.com/

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:03 AM
julie

I've been doing alot of research on
hotels in San Diego...most locals
say Coronado Island is one of the safer
areas...check out the news yesterday
(July 15)....San Diego Tribune...they've
had some trouble at Mission Beach...seems
like a hoppin' spot for the kids...but
is it safe?? Paradise Point gets good
reviews for family travel if you're
determined to stay in the Mission Beach
area...good luck....

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Lori

It has been many years since I lived in San Diego, but Mission Beach was an area historically known as not being all that safe. I am not sure if it has been built up or not in the past few years. I would opt for Coronado, La Jolla. Much more elite, and safer, and just as enjoyable for teenagers.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:16 AM
julie

Susan,
Check out "signonsandiego.com" and
read the article re: Beach safety
(Tues. July 16) It might help you make
a decision....I'd choose a quieter
area than Mission Beach..

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:20 AM
x

you could check into renting beach front homes/condos in south mission beach. very nice ones but then you don't have a pool.
pacific beach may not be the safest area in san diego but your kids would enjoy all the activity that goes on - blading, biking, body surfing, lots of restaurants, etc. la jolla and coronado are both beautiful but in my opinion, rather dull for teenagers.
the pacific terrace is a good choice or my pick would be the catamaran. finding a place for 5 people is difficult - did find a room at the regency place that accomodates 5 but that in hotel circle which isn't the greatest location.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:39 AM
x

Do any of you actually live in San Diego? The beach areas are not unsafe. I'd like to know what kind of activities you would have these teenagers do in La Jolla, even in Coronado. Mission and Pacific Beach are typical, laid back beach communities and the problems in MB over the weekend are not typical, and happened in an empty parking lot at 230 in the morning. There is much more for kids to do in these areas and a make for a more fun family vacation, with activities for the whole family, not just the parents.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:52 AM
lori

Yes I did live in San Diego, I was born and raised in San Diego, graduated from school and relocated to the East Coast. In high school my folks would not allow me to go anywhere near Mission Beach. It was forbidden but as I say, it may have changed. I do remember an old wooden roller coaster in a amusement center called Belmont Park. There was a sea wall where you could roller blade etc. I think maybe the Catermaran toward P.B. is nice. I also hear good reports about a place calld Pacific Terrace. The writer does not specically say outside of a pool if on the beach is what they would like, or what activities they would like to do while in San Diego. I know Coronado was voted the best "family beach" this year. I can't imagine that loacation would be boring for teenagers.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Barbara

Susan actually asked about Mission Bay, not necessarily Mission Beach. San Diego overall is a pretty safe city. There are occasional problems at the beach, but no more than beach areas in any other big city, and probably less.

Susan, this is your second post asking about where to stay. From your limited criteria, it would seem that the Catamaran might suit your needs.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Lori

I stand corrected. Poster does say "Mission Bay"-Mission Bay is a larger territory to cover. Certainly is not Mission BEACH.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Patricia

I like the Holiday Inn in Old Town. It's a nice property and you can walk to shopping and restaurants- but I am not knowledgeable enough about safety issues to advise.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:42 PM
x

(yes, i did live in san diego for 10 years)
unless you plan on letting your kids roam around into the wee hours of the morning, pacific beach and mission beach are great choices. as mentioned, as a teenager, i'd MUCH prefer the catamaran to something in la jolla or coronado.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Leslie

Susan - you also don't mention your price range but the Catamaran is a great choice for families if you can afford it and get a room that sleeps 5. We had a huge room with two queen beds that I'm sure could fit a rollaway.

It has the benefit of being both near the ocean and, on the other side, facing the bay with water sports on the bay and lots of sort of tropical grounds the kids could roam safely.

Other good choices are Paradise Point on Mission Bay, grounds are so large they can rent bikes.

These two are close to Sea World and close enough to places like Old Town and Seaport Village which you'd likely want to visit.

A little farther away and pricier would be the Lowes Coronado Bay resort.

If you need something less expensive, my rec's would be:

Humphrey's on Shelter Island or
Dana Inn on the Marina or
Holiday Inn Bayside

I've heard good things about Pacific Terrace but never in the context of being a good family hotel.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Susan

Thanks for all of the info. I've been corresponding with a travel guide who lives in SD who said Mission Beach/Bay area was the best place to stay with teenagers - said they would get bored in La Jolla - that LJ was more of a couples place. I doubt we'll spend much time in the room as we'll be sightseeing...but I thought it would be fun to be near the beach, so we could take morning or evening walks, etc. I doubt I'll let them roam around much alone no matter where we stay, as we don't live in a big city and are not used to that environment - I would always prefer to err on the side of caution.
I have a reservation at the Bahia for a suite, but all of my reading indicates the Cat. is nicer. I think I can get a studio there but not a suite - has anyone stayed in a studio at the Cat? Will it hold all 5 of us? Thanks.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Leslie

I have stayed at both the Catamaran (regular tower room was large) and the Bahia in a studio with a kitchen that had a king bed, plus sofa bed, plus a rollaway. I think it would fit you.

The Catamaran is a bit nicer place with a slightly nicer pool area. But the Bahia is pretty good. I would have preferred staying on one of the Bahia's ground level cottages instead of the tower.

All else being equal, I'd choose the Catamaran. Many more restaurants, beach, and things within walking distance also.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Susan

Leslie,
Thanks for the info - I think I'm going to book the studio at the Catamaran - I've found some availability online that is cheaper than what they are quoting me. I've done quite a bit of searching online trying to get info, and it seems that the Cat. gets better reviews overall than the Bahia. The location looks better to me as well.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:34 PM
lippincottfarm

I have another San Diego question. I have narrowed my choice to Best Western Blue Sea Lodge or The Bay Club. I will have a car, a husband and no children. The Blue Sea Lodge is $265.00 verses $165.00 for the Bay Club. Is it worth paying the extra $100.00 or are they the same? I woud appreciate any help.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Bonnie

I stayed with 2 teenagers on Pacific Beach and loved it. There are several condos that rent out and you would be very comfortable. If you're interested email me directly and I'll find the brochures I picked up on my walks along the boardwalk. I had stayed in many different areas of San Diego but chose this location for them We stayed at The Beach Cottages which was fairly reasonable but I didn't realize that it didn't have a.c. until I got there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information