Reload this Page >

San Diego information, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:30 AM
cj

We have been invited to a family reunion in San Diego in mid-July 2003. We've never been to California, so need lots of information:
1. weather at that time of year?
2. moderate accomodations -- married couple, no kids, on the beach, or other nice area?
3. what not to miss in the area?
4. anything else you'd care to share
Travel dates are tentatively July 11-18
Thanks!!!
cj

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:44 AM
steve

1. 70 on the beach, 90 inland
2. on the beach is much more expensive than just off it.
3. Balboa Park (including San Diego Zoo), harbor tour, visit the ships in the harbor, Old Town, Scripps Aquarium, Sea World, Seaport Village shops, Coronado

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 11:05 AM
xxx

Moderate accomadations and "on the beach" do not go hand and hand nor with your time frame. You can try close to the beach. If you are looking for economical try the Hotel Circle. The Catamaran is nice in P.B. Close to the beach within walking distance. There is Coronado Island and La Jolla.They are both lovely towns, but may be pricey. I feel they are ideal for a couple without children. Especially La Jolla area. The Gaslight District downtown, Horton Plaza for shopping. A ride to Pt. Loma for a breathtaking view of the city. There is also a lighthouse there, Carbrillo National Monument I think is the name.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Bekah

Why in the world do people keep calling it the Gaslight district? Good God, if you really live here or have been to the area often enough to give advice on a place, I think you should at least know the name! GasLAMP, GasLAMP, GasLAMP!!!!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 11:59 AM
x

Bekah, I feel your pain. After visiting there I enthusiastically recommended the area on this board but in my haste I wrote Gaslight. Now I make sure to write Gaslamp but I do understand how the mistake happens

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 12:29 PM
xxx

Well excuse me!! You do raise a good point and for the life of me I can't understand why they didn't call it the gasLGIHT instead. It just seems to "go together". Can't I rename it?? I was born and raised in S.D. I think I would know the area quite well although I do not live there anymore.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 01:28 PM
x

second the recommendation of the "catamaran hotel". nice location within a block of the beach and on a bay. nice pool area. right on the beach you could try the "best western, blue sea lodge" or "pacific terrace". book soon. if these are too expensive, you should check out the ones in hotel circle. great location for driving to everything but the hotels are on each side of the freeway so it's noisy and nowhere to go for a walk.
if you want to go out for a nice meal, go to "tom hams lighthouse" at sunset. nice views of the harbour and downtown. always good food. go to the "marine room" in la jolla for dinner or drinks.
a harbour cruise is a nice way to spend a morning if your a little too tired for sightseeing.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Bekah

Sorry if I was yelling. I guess it's the little things that get me. I work down here and I've never heard anyone refer to it as Gaslight except on this board...where it seems to happen a lot! They named it that after the gaslamps that originally lit the streets. Now there are replicas all over 4-6th street, broadway through island.

P.S. If you want a good meal, DON'T go to Tom Ham's Lighthouse...nice view, lousy food. I'd go for Peohe's...same view, different angle (from Coronado).
Best Western Blue Sea Lodge probably your best bet for nice beach accomodations in the moderate category - if you can get it! Book now. La Jolla would be better for the over 30 set but good luck with the moderate and beach angle.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:59 PM
trubrit

If you enjoy great humour check out Triple Espresso, at the Horton Theatre on 4th st. It has been running for many years and gets better every time. The Horton Grand Hotel is very nice. If you go to www.SanDiego .com then the heading Visitors convention you will find much information and offers for discounts on attractions and dining and theatre.They will amil a package to you . j

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 02:01 PM
dorothy

Recently come back from spending two weeks in San Diego,stayed at a lovely hotel in Old Town "the Ramada"cant rate it too highly.just a stroll to Old town park,and so handy for transport to all the attractions and different areas.The most beautiful beach was Coronado,with La jolla a close second.a must see,Balboa Park and Seaport village,also a walk along the harbour.for the second week,we stayed at the Quality Inn,7th Avenue and that was good too.hope you enjoy yourvisit,as much as we did.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 02:09 PM
dana

Sounds like a school research project to me.

wouldn't want to hit that SEARCH button now would we!