San Diego in April

Oct 17th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

San Diego in April

We are thinking of taking a trip to San Diego in April with our daughter and family which includes 3 kids 4 and under. It looks like the average temps are 67 at that time and San Diego does not receive much rain. I was visiting with a friend who has spent a lot of time there and she said it is cool then. I knew the kids would not get in the water because of temperature and also their age but I thought they could spend most days on the beach playing in the sand etc (in shorts or swim wear). Then of course I thought we'd visit the zoo & Sea World. It sounded like she needed to be in long pants in April. Of course I realize she may have been there when there was unusually cold weather but I am wondering what others have experienced the early part of April (March 30 to April 6).
Oct 17th, 2012, 08:32 AM

It partly depends on where you're coming from - I was there a few years ago in early April and went to the beach, it was definitely warm enough for swim wear and shorts. But then again I'm from Minnesota so that probably helped it feel warmer than it really was. I seem to remember it being close to 80 though, but I think that was unusually warm for then.
Oct 17th, 2012, 08:41 AM

Agree - everything is relative. You see people on the beach year round in San Diego - except perhaps during the rare winter storm. Y

ou could get sunny days - or some with marine layer/fog - but on those days it will be clear at the Safari Park (Wild Animal Park), or up in Julian where big and little kids can have some Apple Pie and maybe explore an old mining cave - and when there might be some really heavy fog - it burns off - certainly at the zoo - by late morning.
Oct 17th, 2012, 08:42 AM

BTW - it's not unusual to have days over 80 degrees as early as January.
Oct 17th, 2012, 09:43 AM

DO IT!! The ocean will probably be too cool for swimming, but you can't go wrong with little kids and sand. You can also opt for a hotel with a pool. My daughter and I were there this past April and wore shorts and tank tops during the day, a light jacket in the evening. San Diego has a lot to offer~in addition to what Tom suggested, try some of the attractions in Balboa Park. My teenager and I loved the Science Center!
Oct 17th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

we are from Colorado.
Oct 17th, 2012, 03:57 PM

Great tip by tenthumbs. There are many good museums in Balboa Park - in addition to the Zoo - and if you like roses - wander over the bridge from the Ruben E Fleet Science center to the rose garden - which I and other members of The Rose Society of SD tend to every Tues and Thurs AM.

The adjacent Natural History Museum also has good exhibits - and they both have IMAX theaters (maybe the only place with 2 IMAX screens about 100 yard apart/across the Prado from each other) and there are other fun places to go including a model railroad museum, antique cars, the Air and Space Museum, Museum of Man, the Arboretum, etc.

see: http://www.balboapark.org/in-the-park/museums
Oct 17th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Our temps are in the high 60's low 70's that time of year and it may sound cold but the air feels much warmer. That is my favorite time of year when the weather is perfect IMHO. You will not have a problem feeling too cold, trust me!
Oct 17th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Since you are from Colorado, you should enjoy the temps. You will be acclimated to a much colder climate than you'll find in San Diego.

We are from Florida, and vacationed there this spring around the exact times you are planning. Along the coast, there was generally a marine layer, not much sun. Definitely not beach weather for us. We felt it was chilly enough for long pants and sweatshirts, but then, we are Floridians.

A bit farther away from shore, such as the Zoo, it was considerably warmer, and we were good in t-shirts. And sunny. So just layer accordingly.
Oct 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM

Uno Mas: IF there is a Marine Layer/aka fog - it usually burns off - slower the closer you are to the coast. But even so - plenty of other things to do here in the best mainland weather in the US.

I wear a Polo shirt and shorts year round - but some do accuse me of being part Polar Bear. Maybe it's my Oregon upbringing.
Oct 18th, 2012, 05:00 AM

April is usually a pretty month in San Diego. I do remember a couple of cold ones but they are rare.

The gloom (marine layer) doesn't normally arrive until June and it seems like this year it stayed until early July.
Oct 18th, 2012, 10:27 AM

That is true LSky. Because the eastern part of the city is still relatively cool the warmer air from that part of town doesn't hit the cooler ocean air until June when you will see that effect.
Oct 20th, 2012, 06:52 PM

The morning marine layer times are called "May Gray" and "June Gloom" for good reason, but we had a day or two of late afternoon fog 2 miles or so from coast last week and there was a.m. mist and all-day cloud cover today.
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:19 AM

If you come in April I'd pack the kids both shorts and long pants, T-shirts and a light jacket as well. You may need to dress in layers. I live in San Diego and I feel the cold easily, so 67 degrees sounds freezing to me! But for people from other states, it might feel quite pleasant. Remember that our ocean will be freezing however...it's always freezing, except for in August or September. We don't have the warm ocean like Hawaii has. (This is my opinion, just how I experience our temps.) April can be a nice month for visitors. Try to avoid spring break, when our local kids are on holiday, as places like SeaWorld will be mobbed!

Enjoy if you come in April. The zoo is nice in April.
Oct 21st, 2012, 04:04 PM

Freezing water in San Diego? Surely you jest.

Freezing - or near freezing - is swimming in a snow melt fed - rapidly flowing spring creek - at about 4,000 feet in Oregon - during an April skip day from school. Now that is freezing as it literally takes your breath away as you dive in.

Here in SD - where we are privileged to have the best weather in the Continental US - the ocean water temps in the non-summer months drop to the low 60's - and get up to the low/mid 70's during the summer.

Quite balmy actually.
Oct 22nd, 2012, 10:11 AM

Could rain, could be cool, could be warm, but lots to do and see. Just be ready for changes in weather, certainly won't be cold. Book a hotel with a pool, it will be heated and kids always love coming back after a busy day to swim.
Oct 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM

It mostly likely won't rain in April in San Diego. Usually the weather is the "perfect spring break" weather, but it is too cold to go into water, unless you want to surf with a wetsuit in which case it might be OK if you really want to do it. Long pants would be a good idea in Southern California all year long, because the humidity is very low and it gets quite cold in the morning and after sunset.

Spending day time at the beach will be no problem, and wearing shorts for most of the day would be fine, too - just make sure you have a jacket or some pants to wear at night. It's very unlikely that San Diego is gonna have unusual weather. Maybe some rain but again not likely. Have fun!
Nov 2nd, 2012, 05:16 PM

April is a great time to be in San Diego. It's easier to get into the many attractions because it's off season for tourist. The ocean water may be cold, but it should be sunny enough to throw out a beach towel and sunbathe. You can play beach volleyball or take a long walk along the shore. There are plenty fun things to do that time of year.
See: http://www.utsandiego.com
http://www.sandiegorealtime.com