San Diego Hotels...help!

Search

San Diego Hotels...help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego Hotels...help!

I'm trying to plan a short getaway to San Diego. We have a free plane tickets that must be used by September. I will be going with a friend and neither of us will have access to a car. We would really like to take the time in San Diego to walk around, go to the beach, rent bikes, and shop...it would be ideal if all of these things were within walking distance to our hotel or if we were close to public transport.

We aren't really into museums. Although the zoo would be nice, it isn't a must see for us.

Right now we are looking for a hotel in the San Diego Costal area (La Jolla, Torrey Pines, Del Mar) and Mission Valley. We are looking for something moderate in price.

Can someone tell me if these spots are good for what we hope to do in San Diego?

I'd appreciate any help/information you could offer
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The best areas for you to consider, where you will be able to do all the things you mention (with the possible exception of renting bikes) would be either La Jolla or Del Mar.

You might consider the Pacific Beach area, perhaps staying at the Catamaran, or the Pacific Terrace, but they are both pretty expensive. You might get some better rates in September though.

In Mission Valley, you will have difficulty getting to a beach, but if you are close to a Trolley station, you can easily get to the Gaslamp District, Seaport Village, the Embarcadero and Old Town. Also, Mission Valley has great shopping at Fashion Valley mall.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Just have to mention that the Catamaran is a DUMP and hugely overpriced. (Who pays those prices?) You can see my review of it on this site. The Hilton on Mission Bay is much nicer and a much better value for the money. La Jolla is great if you don't want to drive a car. The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club is nice.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Your best bet would be to stick with something in La Jolla. Mission Valley would not put you in a beach location and without a car I don't see how you could go to the beach. I like the Old town area for being close to area attractions but again it is not the beach. If you are not interested in the zoo or Sea World then opt for La Jolla. By the way the Catamaran is 39 years old. I lived there and saw it being built!! It is old. Sounds like it is in desparate need of a make over! I know I am!!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:22 PM
ltt

with no access to a car, i'd recommend the pacific beach or la jolla area. you could rent a bike and get between the two areas on reasonably flat roads. there are plenty of bus connections in pacific beach.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:31 PM

I've stayed 4 times at the Pacific Terrace and was able to do all the things you mentioned without a car:
walk to the beach and eateries, rent bikes or skates, walk to small local shops. However, it is expensive unless you can get a special discount package.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 03:42 AM

We stayed at Pacific Terrace and enjoyed it also. However, I couldn't imagine getting by without a car, but I did not check out public transportation. Here is their website:

http://www.pacificterrace.com/
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 04:18 AM

We have stayed at the Sea Lodge in La Jolla and were very satisfied, also has a great restaurant and within walking distance to others, nice neihborhood cafe for coffee and sandwiches or salad nearby.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 08:07 PM

stayed last year at the Ocean Park Inn at Pacific Beach. It was a great location right on the water at the food of Grand St. While the hotel is not new, it is well maintained, and the rooms are well appointed with a fridge and microwave. The hotel also includes continental breakfast, and free parking. There were lots of restaurants, and shops in walking distance. It is about a 5 minute drive from Sea World. We got a great rate and a 4th night free with Fun Sun Tours, coming from Canada
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:45 PM

Personnally, I would want to stay in Pacific Beach. But, you could stay at the Mission Bay Hilton (ask if it is walking distance to Mission Beach, Pacific Beach area)
Pacific Beach offers a great boardwalk with rollerblading, biking, food, and, a variety of people.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:53 AM

The Mission Bay Hilton is not walking distance from Mission Beach or Pacific Beach.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:47 PM

How about Humphrey's Half Moon Inn & REsorts. It is on shelter Island in San Diego close to everything. The rooms are big and the pool is great, set in a polynesian style.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:28 AM

La Jolla is nicer but Pacific Beach is more convenient to more restaurants and shopping without a car. There is more likely to be better bus service there to get downtown.
We stayed at the Sea Lodge in La Jolla, about three years ago, and liked it a lot. There is a beach right outside the back door, and you can walk to several good restaurants. However, shopping within walking distance is very limited. Better shopping and lots of restaurants are only a few miles away but requires a car or taxi.
The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club, mentioned nearby, is next door to the Sea Lodge. When we were looking, we could get a better rate at the Sea Lodge.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:00 AM

True, if you stay at the LBTC or the Sea Lodge, there's not much shopping or restaurant variety within walking distance. But, there are several very good hotels in the "village" area of La Jolla which would better suit siems' needs. The retaurants and shopping in La Jolla are vastly superior to anything Pacific Beach offers
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your help. We actually decided to give priceline a try and ended up at the La Jolla Hyatt for $70/night...not a bad hotel from what the reviews say. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we begin planning our adventure! Thanks again.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:14 PM

We have stayed in LaJolla on many trips to San Diego and love it. We hardly every have to drive. We stay at a very moderately priced hotel (Inn By the Sea). It's located in the village within walking distance to most restaurants and the ocean. They have a continental breakfast each morning and also a pool. We never had to search for a parking place when we stay there, cuz we can walk to everything!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 07:23 AM
ltt

wow, i'm surprised you ended up there. this hyatt is not in the village of la jolla. it is on the east side of freeway 5. one side looks out on the freeway, the other on residential. there is a shopping mall about 15 minute walk away and there?d be transit buses there and a couple of restaurants in the area. but, you will be on public transport for a length of time to get to downtown or pacific/mission beach area. if you took a taxi to the village of la jolla, it would probably cost in the $12 range. hope it works out well for you.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:15 PM

We are planning to go to La Jolla next month. Sea Lodge is booked up for when we want to go. Saw an ad for Best Western a couple of blocks from the beach? Would this be a recommended hotel? How far a walk is the Cove from the hotel? Also saw La Jolla Inn, but some reviews say it gets too much noise nearby. I haven't looked into the La Jolla Beach and Tennis one. Also is the aquarium worth going to if we go see the tidal pools at Point L. in San Diego? Any suggestions for neat bed and breakfast with views on the coast either in La Jolla or San Diego? We will have a car. Thanks for any info.