Search

San Diego - First Time - 1.5 days

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego - First Time - 1.5 days

HELLO FODORITES!

We will be going to San Diego for the first time ever! We are only in town for two nights and two days.

We are staying at a Marriott in Gas Lamp... Any must see's? Romantic Restaurant recommendations?

We cannot wait! Thank you in advance! 8-)
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM

The Zoo, (a must) Balboa Park, Coronado, La Jolla (don't know any romantic restaurants
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM

Unless you really love zoos, I wouldn't bother.

We loved the USS Midway, the harbor boat tour, and the Museums at Balboa Park.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 06:28 PM

native SD and we have stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp and its a great hotel..especially if the Pad's are in town.
SD Zoo takes up a whole day..great zoo..one of the best.
I would take the Old Town Trolley or the Ducks tour on the bay of SD.
Rent a car and go to La Jolla and have lunch at Georges at the Cove on the terrace..walk around the gorgeous coastline and shops and scenery.
Cabrillo National monument is at Point Loma for killer views.
Take a water taxi to Coronado and then bike or cab it to the Hotel Del.
Happy hour at Mc Cormicks and Schmicks at the Gaslamp Omni is great for super cheap food and drink.
Go and have shrimp cocktails and drinks on the deck of the Fish Market downtown.
Have fun..it's such a great city!
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM

Two days isn't a very long time, you'll want to maximize your time. To do that tell us what your interested in?
abram is right the zoo takes a whole day and can be tiring.
Are you active? or are you thinking, get in the car and drive around?

Are you thinking beaches? Hiking Torrey Pines?

I'd spend a day at Balboa Park and the next go to La Jolla and Torrey Pines etc.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM

BTW, the Zoo is just a short walk north of the central area in Balboa Park where most of the Museums are. A few Museums are a short walk to the south of that central part. There are at least a dozen excellent museums and a few "lesser" ones. You could combine a half-day visit to the Zoo with 2-3 museums that especially interest you. Check them out at:

http://www.balboapark.org/

However, I also agree that USS Midway (takes 2-3 hours), Cabrillo (especially on a very clear day; virtually requires a car), La Jolla Village and Cove, a Harbor Cruise, the Urban Trees sculptures spread out along the Embarcadero (walking north from the USS MIdway), and even a stroll through Coronado are all good tourist activities.

So much to do that we retired to San Diego 4+ years ago and still haven't done it all.

My in-town choice for a romantic restaurant would be Bertrand's at Mr. A's, located at Fifth and Laurel, about 2 miles north of your hotel--pricey but great food/service/ambience/view:

http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/restaurant.htm
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 01:41 PM

San Diego is probably our favorite American City--so much to do and see, so fresh, exhilerating, with the very best of American war history on display. It's all walking distance from your hotel. A walk at night in GasLamp is a treat--outdoor restaurants and music. (Great ideas have already been given.) In Balboa Park one museum is free each week. I think it's Thursday. Seaport Village is walking distance too. Any lunch is excellent there. We enjoyed a little Greek restaurant. Here's where you can begin your waterside walk to see sculpture honoring WWII sailors.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Concerning the free admission days at Balboa Park museums: Each Tuesday (except the fifth one in the month, if that occurs) a set group of museums have free admission--it is always the same ones on that Tuesday. See:

http://www.balboapark.org/calendar/d...hp?EventID=370

The last few times my wife and I went, some of the museums admitted everyone free, even though the stated policy is that it is free only for SD county residents.

However, if a museum piques your interest (model railroading? arts and crafts from various cultures? aviation history and equipment? automobiles? and so much more) the regular admission fees should not deter you.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Nice of you to correct that, d_claude_bear. It's been three years since we were there, but we've been there three times and will return. It's always romantic in Gas Lamp!
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Wow - cannot wait!!

I know it is short! We are ditching the time share a day early(staying in Palm Desert for 6 nights) and adding on San Diego!

We have a car and love to travel around.

Based on feedback and research...thinking about

1. Cabrillo Monument
2. Checking out the sea lions at "Children's Pool"
3. Looks like the Top of the Hyatt could be a spot for a drink

Question...Would Coronado be worth a trip?

Bertrand's at Mr. A's looks like a great place for our last dinner of our vacation!!!

8-)
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 05:08 PM

Free admission Tuesdays, for museums, is only for residents.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:00 AM

If you go to La Jolla to the Children's Pool - have lunch at the terrace at Georges - it is a must - you will think you are on the Almalfi Coast Top of the Hyatt is a great place to have a drink - sunset would be lovely there. The Midway is fabulous.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lunch on the Terrace at George's is far more fun than watching the seals, IMO. Top of the Hyatt is a busy place and it can be difficult to find a seat. Worth the effort though.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Take the ferry to Coronado or drive the bridge abd have fish tacos at The Brigantine! Take a peek at The Hotel Del Coronado.. it's interesting and a fun way to spend an hour or so.