Anna Maria Island - Bean Point

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anna Maria Island - Bean Point

Hi,
I'm thinking of renting a beachfront house right on Bean Point of AMI. Anything negative about the area? I understand it's very quiet, which is fine. We just want to relax. Driving to restaurants is fine, too, as well as a few daytrips. Is the water nice there?
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:03 PM

Bean Point is a very nice residential area of Anna Maria Island. Depending on where you are, you may not have much beachfront and it may not be the best place to swim (extreme north end of the island), but a 10 minute walk south on the Gulf side of the island along the beach will get you to a good place to swim. There is a free trolley that runs north/south. I'm not sure of the schedule, but that might be fun. If you have a car - go off the island at the south end over to Cortez, which is a wonderful old fishing village. The Starfish Company is a wholesale and retail fish market, plus they have a very low key and wonderful place for lunch out back on the waterfront. You go to the window to order, then sit at picnic tables overlooking the docks and Sarasota Bay to eat. My brother-in-law from California insists on going every time he visits - just for the hushpuppies. Smoked mullet (if you like smoked fish) is a local delicacy. It is sort of strong - so only try it is you like (as Mom said - who DIDN'T like it) fishy fish - tuna, etc. Rod and Reel Pier is good, Beach Bistro is expensive but my favorite place, there's a German place just south of where State Road 64 gets to the island, and the Sand Bar will be close to you - not my favorite food, but sitting on the deck drinking a rum drink and watching the sun go down can't be beat. The South Florida Museum (downtown Bradenton) is small, but has Snooty - the oldest living manatee in captivity. Sort of a quirky museum, but a favorite. Ringling Museum (on the county line between Bradenton and Sarasota) is also good - a 1920's house built by John Ringling of Ringling, Barnum, and Bailey Circus, a small circus museum, and a large art museum. When are you visiting?
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM

After thinking about it, you may want to ask other people about swimming at Bean Point. My mom (and my friends' moms) always told us not to swim there because of rip currents, but I'm sure they wanted us at the public beach where there were lifeguards. Plus that was - what - almost 30 years ago!
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response! I think I read that there is only one beach with a lifeguard on the island. Since I am not a great swimmer, I usually make us camp out right near a lifeguard. I guess we could always drive down to the guarded beach. I am very tempted by this house because of views and sunsets! We would go for a week the second half of March.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I just read that Manatee, Cortez and Coquina beaches have lifeguards. Thanks for the restaurant and site info as well!
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Unless the weather is bad, or warning flags are posted, you can safely swim anywhere along the gulf front side of the island - just avoiding the north and south ends.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM

I agree with most all of what bellhouse advises; just one minor point that likely won't make a bit of difference to you. The free trolley is fun to ride, but it does not go all the way north as far as the Bean Point area; it's turnaround point is about a mile south, at the parking lot by the Anna Maria City Pier, and across from several shops, including a great ice cream place, Two Scoops.

If you check out the address of rental house on Mapquest or Google maps, you should be able to move around and see the whole island. I think you can do street level views, too.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:28 AM

Ah - I didn't know that - thanks.