Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for things to do in San Diego this June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (husband, 12 year old dtr and myself) are planning a trip to San Diego this June. We are thinking of staying at the Hotel La Jolla Shores on the beach. We would like some other ideas on what to do, besides beach, Sea World and the Zoo. We are a very active family, any suggestions?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM

If you are sport's fans, the San Diego Padres play downtown. Your 12 year old might like a trip to the border on the Little Red Trolley (light rail). In your list of attractions, you did not mention the Wild Animal Park which is well worth a visit.

Aside from beach hiking, it is not a long drive to Julian or Palomar for some mountain hiking or a visit to the Palomar Observatory.

In late June and early July, the San Diego County Fair is held at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, just north of La Jolla. It is one of my favorite fairs.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM

June can be cool and foggy in San Diego so be prepared!

Ditto the ideas of going to the Del Mar Fairgrounds, the county fair is great fun, especially the food and the exhibition halls.

Plan to spend an evening in vibrant downtown -- dinner in the Gaslamp and a Padres game at Petco Park.

The Zoo is in Balboa Park which is lovely. Make sure you explore some of the park on your zoo day. If Starlight Bowl Theater is having a performance that interests you, this would make the end of a perfect day!

La Jolla Shores Hotel is in a great location. They rent out picnic tables, lanterns, tablecloths and people set up elaborate dinners on the sand in the summer. This is a very enjoyable way to spend an evening!

About a mile south of the la Jolla Shores area is La Jolla Cove. Your daughter would enjoy the jaunt down into the sea cave. This is a beautiful stretch of coast, a tad further down from the Cove is the Childrens Pool which is now "owned" by sea lions.

Recommend a drive out to the end of Point Loma for stunning views, the lighthouse, the tidal pools down below, and beautiful Ft Rosecrans Nat'l Cemetery.

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Take the bridge over to Coronado Island, it's a quaint little area to walk around. Tour the Hotel Del Coronado, it's a very historical property where we enjoyed a 3 night stay in December. You could have a meal at their casual restaurant, the Sheerwater, they have a nice buffet breakfast each morning there or if you want to splurge, brunch in the Crown Room is pretty famous there.

If you like Mexican food, Miguel's Cocina in Coronado has great food in a casual, fun atmosphere. It is right across the street from the Del in the inner courtyard of the El Cordova Hotel. Have fun! ***kim***

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Take surfing lessons. I do this all the time for my out of town company. Call the Ocean Beach Surf Shop and arrange lessons. Depending on the tide, they can take you to the beach and give you a 3 hour lesson that will have you standing up by the end.

Kayak tour of La Jolla. Ask the hotel for the place that does it.

Take the ferry from downtown pier at Broadway and have it take you to Coronado Landing. Once there rent bikes from Bikes at the Bay and ride them around Coronado. I second the recommendation for Miguels in Coronado.

Go to Point Loma Seafoods and then catch a fishing trip out at Sportsman Landing.

This next idea may sound kooky but a trapezee school opened up in Encinitas. You daughter might like taking a lesson. Everyone tells me its a lot of fun.

Also in the summer we have a ton of concerts by the beach, bay or park. Also check out website for San Diego Symphony Summer Pops.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for some great suggestions. Vivi mentioned "cool and foggy", I am hoping the later part of June may be warmer(?). I can't imagine surfing or kayaking in the fog!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:46 PM

it even has a name: "June gloom." Late June is better than early June.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM

Surf lessons are great but I would arrange for them right there at La Jolla Shores. There is a group that teaches just women that you might want to check out if it's just you and your daughter (sorry I don't remember the name).

Also, take a day and drive up Coast Highway from La Jolla to Carlsbad. Each town is unique and there are lots of places to stop, eat, shop, swim. A day at Balboa Park, including the zoo, is one of my favorite things to do. Tuesday is free museum day where some of the museums are free so you might want to go then. Eat at The Prado restaurant right there in the park - gorgeous setting, good food. K1 Speed in Carlsbad has go cart racing - my family loves to do that. It's a little pricey at $20 per run but they have a great time. Call to see when the least crowded time is. Go for a hike at Torrey Pines.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM

June gloom happens, but not every day, and often it will burn off in the afternoo.

I spent most of last June in San Diego. There were only a few gloomy days. Plus they make great days for shopping, visitng the museums, hiking or bike riding.

Don't miss the carousel outsidd the zoo. choose an animal on the outside ring and try to catch the gold ring!

Take a boat ride on the Bay, or the foot ferry from near the Star of India (your daughter will enjoy that too) over to Coronado and rent bikes for a few hours.

Rent skates and cruise along the boardwalk in Pacific and Mission Beach, ending with a ride on the roller coaster at the south end.

Old Town is fun with kids (check out the old schoolhouse!) and you might see if you can do a sleepover at the Wild Animal Park!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 05:40 PM

The surf lessons for girls-only taught right there at La Jolla Shores are run by a company called Surf Diva. I saw them on a daily basis when I lived near LJ Shores, the girls looked like they were having a blast.

The reason I mentioned the possibility of fog is because many beach vacationers arrive with visions of all day sun; the cool, overcast skies and chilly ocean temps can be disappointing. I lived near the beach in San Diego for 18 years and gloomy weather was very common in May ("May grey") and June ("June gloom.)
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM
TahitiTams

All great suggestions and if you can go later in June would be best..
You can't beat the location of the LJ Shores Hotel and check direct for on-line specials but book soon..the water is great to swim, snorkel and kayak.
Love Surf Diva and the girls are awesome and your daughter will have a blast!
Jeff's Burgers is a kids delight which is a block away in the quaint LJ Shores...Piatti's, The Cheese Shop for the best Deli Sandwich and a great taco shop that the name escapes me..
There is the Birch Aquarium up the hill and hiking Torrey Pines is gorgeous..also, you can go to the Glider port next door and that is fun to watch the hangliders take off the cliff..
Petco Park is great to watch baseball and you can eat in the Gaslamp..
Take a harbor cruise and you can ride bikes on the boardwalk of Mission Beach and then ride the roller coaster..
I would go to Cabrillo monument and the Pt. Loma Lighthouse and then have lunch at Pt Loma Seafoods..
When you are in LJ, the sea cave at the Shell Shop is fun and stroll along the coast and find the seals at Childrens Pool..
Great restaurants and shopping in the village of LJ..
Georges at the Cove on the terrace is really good and stunning views! Alfonso's for Mex and Crab Catcher for Seafood Happy Hour in the cafe is the best deal in town..
Have a wonderful time in SD..

surfdiva.com
torreypine.org
sdhe.com
birchaquarium.org
gaslamp.org

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM

sbechard - Here's our report from a similar trip last summer:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34855429
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 08:50 AM