san antonio hotel choice

May 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

san antonio hotel choice

I'll be traveling, for the first time,to San Antonio around the first week in November for a conference, and also some touring when I can. The conference hotel is the Holiday Inn Select, located at 77 NE Loop 410, at the rate of $85 per night. My thought was to try to book a reasonable alternative on or near the Riverwalk, rent a car, and drive to the conference. I'm estimating around a 10 mile drive, which would take around 15 minutes, but this would be without traffic. First, does this seem like a feasible plan, assuming one round trip per day? If so, how does one of the following choices sound:

Best Western Sunset Suites Downtown
Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
Comfort Inn Alamo/Riverwalk Historic

These are all between $100-125 per night. I'd be paying the difference/night between the $85 conference room and whatever choice I decided on (if money was not a factor, I'd probably pick something along the lines of the Westin on the Riverwalk).
May 14th, 2007, 01:48 PM

I have stayed at the Drury on the riverwalk and it was very nice. I would stay there again.

The room was nice as well as the free breakfast. I had a balcony rm on the river.
May 14th, 2007, 02:12 PM

15 minutes drive time is a little optimistic. But your plan is good. Just allow more time for travel to your conference. 30 Minutues should be a beter guess. In comparing room rates, don't forget to ask if there is a charge for parking. Several of the downtown hotels do charge and it can be somewhat steep.
May 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM

We have enjoyed the Drury on 2 different occasions. The balconies are a nice addition if you can get one.
May 15th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the Drury. I'll allow approx. 30 minutes for the drive. Is it a tricky commute or pretty straightforward? Also, any suggestions for tourist activities, restaurants, etc? The wife and I are baby boomers with no kids in tow.
May 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM

We were in San Antonio a few weeks ago and stayed at the La Quinta Conference Center on Blum Street. The location was really good as you just walk across the street, through the Macy's and into the mall and you're on the Riverwalk. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Free breakfast in the morning too.
May 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Yes, it is feasible, and you would spend you evenings in a nicer environment than under the shadow of a freeway ramp. Your biggest driving challenge will be road construction which is in full bloom all over town, but especially in the area around the airport where the HI Select is located. It is a royal mess and not likely to get better in the near future. Allow 30 minutes to be safe, though you may make it in 20.
If you are set on staying downtown, any of the places would be OK. The BW Sunset Suites are on the "other side" of the highway at the east of downtown in the emerging Sunset Station area - not bad, but sort of on the edge of the downtown attractions; parking is free. One advantage is that you would be right by the ramp to enter the highway to get to your conference. The Comfort Inn is actually in the former county jail (!) but gets pretty good reviews on Tripadvisor and is located in the middle of downtown so easy to walk to the Riverwalk attractions or the Market Square /El Mercado venue; self parking is $6/day, more for valet parking. The Drury Plaza is also in a historic building, the former Alamo Bank building - also well located in middle of downtown and though only open a short time gets god reviews; parking is $15/day. I'd go with the Drury Plaza first, then Comfort, then BW.
May 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM

mrace- things to do/places to eat:

The other missions are more interesting than the most famous one (Alamo). One of them has a Sunday service with Mexican music which is supposed to be spectacular. I'm not a church goer but would like to see it.

Two food suggestions: Guenther House for breakfast- amazing amazing food. If you can, go during the week, it's less crowded. Rosario's for TexMex- awesome dishes, wonderful margaritas.

We went to San Antonio last year for a few days and dh occasionally suggests we fly down just for a day so we can go to Guenther House and Rosario's.
May 15th, 2007, 05:20 PM
JRP

I've also stayed at The Drury and would recommend it. The location is good and allows for a nice stroll on The Riverwalk.
The room was larger than I expected, even though we did reserve a suite, and the balcony, as mentioned, was a nice touch. The personnel was always very friendly, courteous and helpful.