Tea Tour - Charleston, SC - Sep 07

May 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Tea Tour - Charleston, SC - Sep 07

My name is Denise and I am a longtime member of the Fodor's forums.

I love tea and I love Charleston. Have lived here for thirty years. It's like always being on vacation!

I recently created a 3-day tea and history tour that will take place Sept 5-7, 2007. Please visit the website for more information, and to register: http://www.teaincharleston.com

Hope to see y'all soon!

Tea Lover Denise
May 7th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Please come to Charleston. You will love the palmetto state.

However before you sign up for this trip, review TeaLoverDenise's previous comments about leading a group to London. I didn't read the whole thread and you could have a different take on things than I did, but...
May 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Oh, is that the one. Buyer beware. But you, Princess, take your mom to the reunion in the car--you'll need it there anyway!!
May 12th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

I take great issue with the "Buyer Beware" comment. I had 10 extremely satisfied "Tea in London" tour members (that was everyone on the tour). In fact, several of them are coming to "Tea in Charleston".

The "Buyer Beware" comment is totally unfair and unfounded. I had a situation on my last tour regarding refunding the deposit money to a tour member who cancelled. I was unsure as to how to handle the situation. I came to Fodor's looking for help. In the end, her money was returned.

I am an honest and trustworthy person.
This is very unfair treatment.

Denise

P.S. A rental car is not necessary for this trip.
May 12th, 2007, 08:00 PM

TeaLoverD: You seem to be treading awfully close to the "no advertising" rules on here.

The London trip was assumed to be a one-off. But it looks like you are now making a business out of this.
May 13th, 2007, 04:37 AM

The rental car for Palmetto Princess referred to another thread of hers--not this one.
And yes, it does seem like advertising. Don't cancel on Denise.
May 13th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Seems like an ad, and based on Denise's thoughts about a customer and the trip to London, I'd pass on this one.

My mom and I enjoyed a lovely guided tour of Charleston that ended with tea in a garden. Lots of tea options in Charleston.
May 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Denise: How is asking people to read what you previous wrote unfair? If you joined a tour with a group that you met on the internet, wouldn't you want to read their previous postings?

I happened to look at your postings, because it looked like your 5/06/07 entry was an ad. I was looking to see if you previously advertised tours.

I'm glad it worked out that you refunded the money. In scrolling through the earlier thread twice I missed that because there were other posts after you said that you would refund the money.
May 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

<Denise: How is asking people to read what you previous wrote unfair? If you joined a tour with a group that you met on the internet, wouldn't you want to read their previous postings?>

Those "previous postings" was a thread that had to do with a one-off situation regarding a refund. There was a lot of negative inuendo in that thread, all unfounded. They weren't postings from previous tour members.

<My mom and I enjoyed a lovely guided tour of Charleston that ended with tea in a garden. Lots of tea options in Charleston.>

Incorrect. There are definitely *not* "lots" of tea options in Charleston. I live here. I should know. The tour you and your mother took was not a "tea" tour at all - it just happens to end with tea (tea and cake or cookies) in the garden of the guide. I've taken that walk twice before.

I don't want to break any rules here, so I won't mention the tour again. I'm sure Fodor's will receive great reports here after the September tour.

Denise
May 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Sorry Denise, you are using "tea" to denote a certain ambience.
Can you deliver?
"Recently created" says, well, recently created.
It is really perhaps unfortunate that you did the "one=off" "maybe" tour to Europe, but you came here to ask, and we answered.
May 14th, 2007, 05:57 AM
GoTravel

If you lived there you would know there are lots of options for tea.

Two right off the bad are the Market Pavillion and Charleston Place.

May 14th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

FYI, The Market Pavillion tea is not open to the public; it is provided as a service for their guests.

Afternoon Tea at Charleston Place is fair, at best. I would not recommend it. The atmosphere in the "Thoroughbred Club" leaves a lot to be desired. It is located in the same room as the bar and is very noisy. It's not as nice as it used to be years ago. They keep making the tea area smaller and smaller. I would not be surprised if they eventually phased it out. I'm sure the bar brings in a much better revenue.

Unfortunately, other than Charleston Place, there is NO WHERE IN DOWNTOWN CHARLESTON for a traditional, full Afternoon Tea or High Tea, unless some of the B&B's do it for their guests. That is why the teas on my tour will be catered.

I repeat there are NOT "lots of options" for afternoon tea! It's surprising, actually - you think Charleston would have a tearoom on every corner.

Denise
May 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

<Sorry Denise, you are using "tea" to denote a certain ambience. Can you deliver? "Recently created" says, well, recently created.>

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying or trying to say. If you are asking how capable I am at providing a fantastic tour, check out the blog of one of my Tea in London travelers. This should give you a good idea on whether or not I can "deliver":
http://stephcupoftea.blogspot.com/ (trip reports begin in March 2007 archives)

Denise
May 15th, 2007, 04:41 AM

So, also "tea in London". Sounds like a real advertisement now.
May 15th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Denise: I'm sure you are a nice person, and maybe your tours are fine. But the tone of the London "customer balking" thread and this one are a bit off putting.

Your descriptions of what you can provide "If you are asking how capable I am at providing a fantastic tour, check out the blog of one of my Tea in London travelers." - is pretty defensive. Sort of like a bulldog not letting go.

Based on the volume/tone of your posts, your tours don't seem like "fun" at all. Sorry but that is what it looks like from here.
May 15th, 2007, 05:38 AM
GoTravel

Market Pavillion is open to the public because I had tea there with my mother not too long ago.

Also, many of the other B&Bs offer tea.

May 15th, 2007, 05:48 AM

One B&B is also a tearoom and has enough "atmosphere" to merit notice by NY Times and the Travel Channel.

Heck, maybe GoT and I should start offering tea tours in Charleston. We could easily "fill up" a 3 day tour with tea options - and we'd refund a customer's money given the same situation.

I am just amazed that the editors have allowed this ad stay on the boards. The only purpose of the OP is to advertise her for profit fall tea tour.
May 15th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Maybe we could combine tea tasting and golf in SC and Scotland and get Janis to show us around?
May 15th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

<Market Pavillion is open to the public because I had tea there with my mother not too long ago.>

No it's not! It's only for guests. Call them and you will find out for yourself: 1-877-440-2250

<Also, many of the other B&Bs offer tea.>

Yes, if you are a guest.

May 15th, 2007, 02:17 PM

palmettoP: I'm game (where do you want to play? )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO