Search

San Antonio

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio

Hi there,

Winter break to San Antonio, from 22 to 25 Dec, alone, no car... need some good advice from you...

Thanks!
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Stay on or near the River Walk. Google "Things to do & See in San Antonio" for lots of good info.
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM

Rent a car and go out to the Hill Country: Boerne, Fredericksburg, Gruene, etc. for at least a day. Also, do the Mission Trail driving tour and go see the other 4 Spanish missions that founded San Antonio.

The Riverwalk is nice for strolling, shopping and eating, but IMHO it's really only about a day's worth of entertainment. Eat at least one meal at Mi Tierra restaurant and shop at El Mercado right by it. That's as close as you get to actually being in Mexico!
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 03:21 PM

Have you been before? Nightime River Walk at Christmas is special. See Alamo and nearby Institute of Taxan Cultures.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your good advice...I never been to there before VolCrew,but I've been to Katy(one city between Houston and San Antonio) twice,it would be a good idea Nighttime River Walk at Chrismas...ChrstieP,I can drive,but it's a little bit difficult for me to drive in the NEW place( I don't live in State)...maybe I could go to there by bus or...whatever, now I know which one restaurant I would go...hehehe
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Sadly, there is no public bus to the small towns in the Hill Country. The Via (SA public transportation) may have a route that gets you close to a couple of the Missions, but it would be a long walk...

Yes, do go to Mi Tierra. Its open 24/7/365 and is worth at least two visits just to try both breakfast and lunch/dinner. Their bakery also sells Mexican pastries to go, and the pumpkin empanadas are my favorite!
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 12:04 PM

Difficult to make more specific recommendations without knowing your interests. Riverwalk is visually delightful at Christmas. Where will you be staying?

If you want to avoid tourist traps but enjoy great Mexican and TexMex food, forget Mi Tierra and head to Rosario's. Their bakery is not what it once was (quality seems to have decreased as volume has risen) but still offers some good stuff. What type of food do you enjoy?

There are tours to the Missions - no doubt you will see lots of brochures at your hotel. Gray Line offers a day long tour that includes Alamo, Riverwalk, Japanese Tea Garden, a couple missions and San Fernando cathedral.

If you are into art museums- SA Museum of Art, McNay Art Museum, Briscoe Western Art Museum (just recently opened) are worth visiting.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

First of all ,sorry to answer you late...no public bus? It would be OK, I know I'll find a way to be there...long walk? No problem, I like to walk...not only to keep fit but also to know the NEW place...I'll stay there about four days,so I'll try all the food as you were recommened...
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Seamus,as you said it would be difficult to recommen someone without knowing her interesting...for me...I like outdoor activies...hiking,walking...so everytime when I get to a NEW place I like to walk everywhere,to know the place and the new people...to be honest, I don't have a lot interesting to visit a lot Museum,I like the things "VIVO"...I'll stay the hotel near the Riverwalk, which close the bus station,because I'll go to SA by bus from Katy(vist my good friend first)...about the food,I enjoy all type of food, the only one special plate is the SOUP I cook,hehehe...thank you for your recommention,I'll try it too!
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 04:52 PM

Yes, there is a public bus system that can get you close to some of the missions, and the hike/bike trails may be an option, depending on the weather. Check out www.nps.gov/saan/planyourvisit/hikebike.htm and https://sanantonio.bcycle.com/default.aspx

Info on public bus service, such as it is, can be had at http://www.viainfo.net/

Things within easy walk of downtown:
You might enjoy walking around the King William neighborhood just south of downtown. Some beautiful mansions, many will be decorated for the holidays. http://kingwilliamculturalartsdistrict.com/

The Institute of Texan Cultures, located in HemisFair park, may appeal as it is not your typical museum. http://www.texancultures.com/

The evening of 22d will be La Gran Posada which begins at Milam Park and ends at the historic San Fernando cathedral where they have piñatas for the kids. www.sfcathedral.org

A good place to collect info to plan is http://visitsanantonio.com/
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 12:47 PM

Oh, and if you are after some good soup, Paloma Blanca on Broadway has excellent soups
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 04:19 PM

We usually stay here when in S.A.

http://riverwalkvista.com/
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Dear Seamus, thank you so much,you are so kind! I must to say that it is the wonderful website,and there are a lot of the great people here to give other the useful recommention,thank you every guy so much...
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Rich,it is the nice place for relaxing!
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 04:55 AM

Bookmarking