San Antonio

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:33 PM
Barry Hirsch

San Antonio

I'm going to San Antonio for a week starting November 6, 2001. I've got a semminar I'm going to with friends and my wife is flying in friday afternoon for the weekend. I'd appreciate suggestions for evenings during the week - resturants and some night life, and suggestions for the weekend for both of us.

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 04:18 AM
OliveOyl

By the time the weekend rolls around you'll have had enough of Riverwalk. You and your wife will want to visit El Mercado (you'll probably have already made it there by the time she arrives, but it would be fun for her to see as well) and the mission trail is very interesting.

My last trip I spent about an hour on Riverwalk and the rest of the time doing the missions, then went on to Enchanted Rock for hiking. Riverwalk is fun the first few times but then...time to move on, IMHO.

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 07:24 AM
av

Hi,
Born and raised here, I highly recommend Pico de Gallo for eating, it's right outside of the Mercado, on the other side of the Expressway. The owners are the same owners that own Mi Terra, and La Margarita, which are in the Mercado, prices are better and food is exactly the same. Anything on the menu is great. Also, go the Quarry Market for some shopping. And site see the beautiful homes less than a mile away from the Quarry, Alamo Heights area. It's a community and area full of charm. There are some unique shops there as well. La Madeline a french eatery, it's in Alamo Heights on Broadway. This would be a great place for breakfast. Have a great time!!!

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 02:56 PM
Duncan

Born and raised in SA. Here are some places for dinner although they all require reservations (some more than a couple of days in advance).

Francesca at Sunset at Westin Hotel on La Cantera Golf Course -- great view of rolling hills and golf course and of course a beautiful sunset; continental/American cuisine;

Bistro Time at Fredericksburg Rd. at Callaghab Rd.; excellent chef; very intimate restaurant;

Silo's Restaurant on North New Braunfels; excellent chef and great food

Activities: Agree with Enchanted Rock for outdoor activities; also Lost Maples just west of SA; scenic drive and some of the most beautiful fall colors in TX; mission trails are also interesting

Shopping: Saks Fifth Avenue in North Star Mall; Quarry Market on 281 at Basse Rd.; Artisan's Alley on Bitter Rd. near Blanco Rd; Collector's Gallery and The Market for great Christmas ornaments/decorations -- Collector's Gallery on Bitters and West Avenue; Market in Lincoln Heights at Basse near Nacogdoches

Have fun!

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 07:44 PM
jorge

I second francescas at westin la cantera or if you have a car try the grey moss inn. Little rhine steak house on the river is always a good bet and rosarios for mexican food is among the best. For live music Martinis has been a local favorite for years...let me know if you need any other suggestions....

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Jose

We locals know to avoid the tourist traps that line the riverwalk - hard rock, etc. - but there are some terrific restaurants on the River, too. Try Paseano's, Presidio, Budro's -and then if you want to move away from the river go to Paloma Blanca on Broadway for excellent Mexican food. They Grey Moss Inn will require a car to reach but offers wonderful food and setting. If you want to see the impact of a city striving to attract low paying tourism oriented business as the econmic mainstay, drive through the West Side. You'll think you're on the Mexican border.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Linda

Pico de Gallo is a nice restaurant for Mexican. My favorite though is Paisano's--Italian--two locations, one on Riverwalk, other in Alamo Heights. Sitting at The Landing with a drink, listening to jazz and watching the people go by is a fun activity. I always take my guests on the boatride, as it is restful and informative. The mission tour is nice, be sure to go to the Mariachi Mass at Mission San Jose at noon on Sunday. Drive up into the Hill Country north of SA (about 1 hour) and see the Texas White House of LBJ, his boyhood home in Johnson City and go over to Fredericksburg for the German influence and nice scenery. Continue the circle to I-10 and back to SA. Check mysanantonio.com and traveltex.com for good information. Of course, the Alamo, La Villita, and the old Hemisfair grounds downtown. They have a trolley bus that moves among the downtown areas.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Vicki

Hey you San Antonians . . planning a long weekend in SA soon and want your advice re renting a car. We'd rather not, however are staying down on the river, so would you advise us to rent one? The only reason we actually need a car is to/from airport (but we could do a cab as I understand it for about $15 one way), and husband and sons to Alamodome for a Spurs game. Taxi from our hotel to Spurs game probably pretty reasonable?? Please respond, because trip is coming up soon. Thanks!!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Linda

You definitely can find things to do in downtown, but you should see the mariachi mass at Mission San Jose--I think you can take a tour.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Sue

If you want to get off the Riverwalk for dinner - two suggestions. La Fogata or Rosarios for Mexican food. La Fogata is a little more traditional. Rosarios is in the King William District not that far from the Riverwalk area.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Jane

RE: rental cars. You will not need a rental car to get motels on the riverwalk/downtown after a spurs game. I have gone to many Spurs games and it is much quicker to walk back to our accomodation, in fact there are often bad traffic jams, taking more than one hour to get out of parking garages. Many others also walk, so it is quite safe, and only takes approx 10 mins.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Vicki

Thanks Jane. We had made the decision to cancel the rental car but I am glad to hear your response. Sounds to me like a car is more trouble than it is worth, especially for just a weekend visit. Our hotel is at the north end of downtown, I have found out. N. St. Mary's and Navarro. How much time to add to your 10-minute estimate? Thanks again.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 05:53 PM
KenCT

Can you get by in San Antonio without a car? Is there any kind of mass transit? I've only been there once, and it seemed as though things were really spread out.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Chalupa

The "mainstream" tourist attractions (Alamo, Riverwalk, Alamodome, Sunset Station, El Mercado, convention center, lots of hotels) are clustered in the downtown area, and a trolley connects most of these attractions so a car is not necessary. To venture further a car would be required. Public transport in SA? Well, as long as you have a LOT of time...you'll have to transfer at least once and probably more to reach anything outside downtown. It'll get you there - eventually but not easily. Cabs are expensive in SA. Alternative: rent a car for just one or two days when you plan to head outside the downtown area.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 04:12 PM
KenCT

Sounds like good advice: downtown for part of the time; car for part of the time. What's the weather like in February?

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Christie

Texas weather in February is very unpredictable. It could be cold and icy, or it could be sunny and 80 degrees. Watch the weather on TV, or weather.com, before your trip to see what to expect.