Salzburg to Mondsee

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salzburg to Mondsee

Hi there,
We are starting to plan a fall trip to Munich and a train to Salzburg. We are interested in visiting my mother's birthplace in Mondsee. What is the best way to get to Mondsee from Salzburg for a days visit? A bus would be ideal, but I am having trouble finding any information online.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:00 AM

You will better luck on th Europe Board.

But, It is a very close trip(30-40 min at the most) and very scenic. Have you considered renting a car? There are so may beautiful villages in the Lake district to explore. We loved that area.
There is a "Sound of Music" tour that leaves Salzburg and goes to Mondsee. I beleive the bus stops so you can get out an explore/ get an icecream or whatever..
Have fun!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Mondsee is defitely gorgeous and very easy to get to from Salzburg, as its right off of the A1 (autobahn). Unfortunately I don't know how to get there via public transportation, as we had a rental car. Have you considered a car, by any chance? The roads are so easy to drive on, and if you had a car you could easily continue on to St. Gilgen and then Hallsatt, both fairly close to Mondsee and both lovely towns with gorgeous lakes. The whole Salzkammergut region is beyond beautiful.

Definitely repost this on the Europe board, as you will probably get more info on the public transportation system.

Tracy
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:41 AM

I just checked out the Austria rail page and found several trains a day from Salzburg to Mondsee, and they all take less than an hour. Check out http://www.oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/index.jsp for more info.

Tracy
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Topping
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much! I have considered a car, but a little nervous of the cost. I am however interested since you menioned that the roads are easy to drive on.
Again I appreciate your help...I will try to find the Europe board as you suggested.
Happy Travels!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Hi auntebabutral. To find the Europe Board just click on Talk, upper right hand side of your screen. Than on the left of the screen you will see listed all the various boards that Fodor's offers. Best regards.