Salt Lake City questions

Search

Salt Lake City questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Kelly

Salt Lake City questions

Hello,

I am traveling to SLC for a convention in April. Any advice on sightseeing I should try to fit in? Also, I am choosing between staying at the Shilo or the Wyndham, is either one nicer or more convenient to the Salt Palace? Finally, if you had one chance to go into the mountains, would you tour Park City, Midway, and Sundance, or the eastern boarder to Snowbird resort?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can share.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:33 AM
John

The Wyndham is on the Northwest side of the Salt Palace, and closer to Temple Square. The Shilo is across the street from the SOuth side of the Salt Palace. Haven't ever been in the Shilo, but the Wyndham at least looks better from the outside.

As for one day, it depends on what you are looking for. Park City is beautiful, but I would say that people go there to enjoy the ambience of a wealthy ski town that has some very interesting shops on Main Street. Sundance is more of a relaxed and natural type of setting.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Dayle

Hi Kelly! The Wyndham is a nicer hotel. If you have a day to enjoy the Wasatch Mountains that's great! It's hard to say what's best. If you go to Snowbird, they will still be open for skiing. You can take a non-skier ride up the tram to the top of Hidden Peak, elev. 11,000 and the views are spectacular! Be sure to take a warm coat, gloves & hat. There are also several nice restaurants at the Bird for lunch or dinner. The Cliff Hotel has a spa & roof top swimming pool if you want to make an indulgent day of it.

Sundance will be a hour drive from downtown SLC, but it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Place elevation is much lower than Snowbird or Park City, so their ski season may be over by April considering our low snow pack this year. Sundance also has some of the best restaurants in Utah, call for reservations ahead. I'm not sure what their hours are durign the "mud" season.

Park City is a quaint town with lots of galleries & shops to enjoy. Ski season will be winding down & it should be warm enough to sit outside for lunch & soak up some rays. The mountain views are nice, but not nearly as dramatic as those from Snowbird or Sundance. the Utah Olympic Park may be open to the public again by April following Olympic tear-down. It's definitely worth a visit. Very impressive & interesting facility & tours are available if you like.

Write back if you have more questions!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Barbara

I would never stay at the Shilo. It is the hotel where some crazy threw his wife and kids out the window of one of the upper floors many year ago. I can still hardly stand to even look at it. Choose the Wyndham.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:57 PM
lucky

Wyndam vs. Shilo..is not a multiple choice question. The Wyndam is much much nicer. Albeit, I am sure a bit more money also. Shula Steak House at the Wyndam..several great restraunts in walking distance from the Shilo..and as far as that goes within walking distance of the Wyndham also. Both are about equally convenient to the Salt Palace with the Shilo being a tad bit ( 3 minute shorter walk)..do big deal. It is hard to say where to go in the mountains..and Dayle has pretty much framed the choices..as he always does when he responds to questions bout Park city and the surrounding area. I have lived in Park City for 20 years and can disagree with his advice to you..For scenic beauty it Snowbird / Little Cottonwood Canyon is hard to beat..as is Sundance. I will concur that the restaurants at Sundance are excellent..but then again there are several in Park City. Depending upon the time you have, it is possible to do all of these sites..but if not..then ya'll may want to do a Sundance or Snowbird day..and hang in Park City at night. I would not worry bout it alot since ya can not really make a bad choice.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:59 PM
lucky

typo..I meant to say..I can not disagree with the advice given by Dayle...sorry bout that.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:32 PM
GPWWO

The Salt Palace as you problly know is right downtown and to the S of Temple Square (FYI "the Square is 0/0 all streets then number N/S or E/W of the Square and even the named streets have a number designation.) Both of your hotels are downtown however, the Shilo I belive is further South, this would probbly be the best one, also if memory serves the Shilo is indide the "downtown free zone" for the bus and trolly.

Actually in terms of Mountains and tours, unless you are a big R.Redford fan or are going to the film festival Sundance is kinda boring. Park City is way cool, but VERY trendy and priced accordingly. I have little experieance with Midway. My favorite Mountain is actually Little Cotton Wood Canyon. Take I80 towrds Parley's Summet and watch for the turn off, there used to be a sign, don't know about now. It is a nice little box canyon with a spectacular water fall at the top. If you want to ski, only Park City and Brighton will have snow that late in the spring, and my experience has taught me that Brighton is more user freindly.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Dayle

I'm not sure what the last poster is talking about. To clairfy spring skiing if you are interested. The Park City resorts, Park City Mtn Resort, Deer Valley & The Canyons usually stay open until mid-April. Deer Valley closes first "because they want to provide a quality skiing experience." Heaven forbid you should hit a rock at DV! The areas that stay open the latest and usually have the best snow are Snowbird (in Little Cottonwood Canyon) and Brighton (in Big Cottonwood Canyon). Snowbird's normal closing date is first weekend in May. After that they go to summer skiing. The tram opens early 7:30 am and closes at about 1 or 2pm if I remember correctly. Haven't done summer skiing myself in a long time. Also open is the Little Cloud chair at the top of the mountain. You can ski to the bottom, conditions permitting, or ride the tram back down.

PS: I am a female. Mom got creative...

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 07:02 AM
lucky

Albeit, GPWWO has attempted a 'good faith' effort to answer the question..the response is nontheless fraught with some mis-information. Dayle had done a good job to re-establish the data. And again I find myself in agreement with HER !! Sorry bout that Dayle!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:35 AM
kelly

Hello,

Thanks for all the tips! Looking through a tour guide, I came up with a few more questions. I noticed a few things that sounded interesting for dinner/evening activities, but they seem a little far away. They are the Mayan at Jordan Commons and Trolley Square. Are these worth the trip? If so, can you take taxies or public transportation to get there? Any other downtown restaurants/entertainment you would recommend? Finally, I've read mixed reviews on this site about Salt Lake. (the lake) I notice that they have sunset cruises on it. Thoughts?

Thanks again, you are all very helpful!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Dayle

Hi again Kelly! The Mayan at Jordan Commons would be difficult to get to without a car. You could take TRAX from downtown to the 90th South station in Sandy, but then you would need a taxi from there. It's a Mayan "theme" restaurant complete with cliff divers and tropical storms. I haven't eaten there myself & probably won't anytime soon. It's owned by the man who owns the Jazz basketball team and multiple car dealersships in Utah. Not sure how that translates into good food?

Trolley Square is a nice shopping center. It was originally the storage building for SLC turn of the century electric trolleys and has been converted. Lots of nice, high-end boutiques and restaurants. You can take a UTA bus to get there.

I'm not familiar with sunset cruises on the Great Salt Lake. April might be a little early to enjoy that type of thing unless the boat is glass enclosed.
I would definitely recommend dinner at one of the nice ski area or canyon restaurants in the spring over the lake.

Have fun!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:39 AM
lucky

Once again Dayle has imparted sage wisdom regarding suggestions of do's and do not's regarding the SLC and surrounding area.
I will opine as well by saying to your latest questions ;
1) Mayan is alright, meaning I ain't in a hurry to go back. If your convention were held in the South Valley / Sandy Convention facility it would be convenient and a fun place perhaps. However the time to take the TRAX 12 miles or more to the suburban area for dining here, can be better spent as Dayle has suggested dining at one of the many fine restaurants in downtown SLC. surrounding areas, or one of the ski resorts.
2) Trolley Square is close to downtown. Is popular with tourists.has some nice shopping, some nice places to dine and a good brew pub. But at the end of the day is just another shopping mall.
3) Frankly, the Great Salt Lake will be a dis-appointment no matter what you do. The 'juice will not be worth the squeeze'. If you have a car you can drive out there take a look...say you have been there...get back in your car ..drive back to SLC and have dinner at Spencers, Flemings, Oyster Bar, New Yorker..and many others....or at one of the resorts.
also..If there is a question regarding SLC and the surrounding area just listen to Dayle..SHE..is always /usually right on with her advice.