Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon: Best Western in Williams or Grand Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 02:49 PM
DebiC

Hi,
First time visit to Grand Canyon and will have our five year old and three year old. I have booked rooms at both the Best Western in Williams and the Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon. Is it worth it to spend double the price and stay at the canyon or would there be more things for small children to enjoy (ie Deer Park, Flintstone park, etc) in Williams and day trip to canyon? Any advice in this area would be very helpful. I tried doing a search but couldn't see very much info on Williams itself other than the trains are noisy (are they really that bad?)
Thanks in advance for the help.
Debi

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:43 PM
x

go to the canyon.....Williams is the pits.....

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:54 PM
gyppielou

The canyon offers the real experience. If you have the money splurge on one night at one of the best rooms at El Tovar with huge balcony's overlooking the canyon...order room service and just take it all in. We did this for our honeymoon and then spent 3 more nights in more affordable lodging at the park, since we'd spend our time outdoors. Really stay at the Canyon! Unless Flinstone park has changed much in the past few years, it is only a cute side trip for an hour or two for the kids...unless its changed! Good luck

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:13 PM
DebiC

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I waited too long to book room and everything in the park is gone! I love taking pictures and the thought of waking up early for sunrise and being there late for sunset is probably to much to pass up on. If anyone else has any advice please let me know. Thanks again!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Steve

There are several motels/hotels just outside the park entrance. They are good places to stay. Not Motel Sixs. Advise you to see the IMAX show just outside the park entrance before going in. It will give you a much better understanding of the Grand Canyon. You will have a difficult time enjoying the canyon with children as young as yours, but you will come back. You are going to one of the greatest sights of nature. Be prepared for any kind of weather. When we were there at this time last year, it snowed. The walking paths were ice covered.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 07:02 PM
x

I`d keep calling..there are always cancellations......might be better at the Thunderbird or Kachina..right on the rim beside the El Tovar..or maybe a Bright Angel cabin..nothing like a sunrise and sunset in and on the Canyon.....keep trying....

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:53 AM
RB

Try booking through a travel agent- there may be some rooms AmFac puts aside for tour groups, etc. Ditto on continuing to check with AmFac on your own. Good luck!