Safety and restaurants in Washington DC

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety and restaurants in Washington DC

We (2 ladies) will be staying at the Radisson Barcelo at Dupont Circle in a couple of weeks and were wondering about safety at night. I have read not to go past about 14th St along P St at night. Is this correct and are there any other areas to avoid at night in the area?
Is it safe to walk to Georgetown at night, if so which route to take?
Finally which areas/streets have the most restaurants (medium priced) to choose from in the area?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:06 AM

The Dupont Circle area you are staying in has plenty of wonderful restaurants in all price ranges. Etrusco and Johhny's Half Shell are two of my favorites and I think they are both in the moderate range. I like Adams Morgan for interesting restaurants. There are plenty in Georgetown as well.

How to walk to Georgetown? Well you could walk down 21st Street until you get to M Street and take that into Gtown. Perhaps someone else has a better route. Personally I'd take a cab not because of safety but for convenience.

DC is a safe city particularly in the areas tourists frequent the most. Use the same cautions you'd exercise in any large city. Some parts of the city aren't unsafe at night but just deserted (parts of Capitol Hill come to mind) so you wouldn't likely be headed there. East of 14th and P you'll probably encounter some run down neighborhoods and commercial businesses but, again, there's not much there to draw a visitor.

Don't let it stress you out. Have a great trip.

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Forgot. Washingtonian.com has a great restaurant search tool. You can slice it by neighborhood, cuisine and price range. I find the little mini reviews to be very reliable.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:43 AM

I wouldn't worry about safety in that area at all - in the three years I've lived in DC the city has undergone amazing gentrification, to the point where a Whole Foods was put up where hookers used to hang out. There are some really bad areas in DC, but you won't be going there because there aren't any tourist attractions there.

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. The Washingtonian website is great, just what I'd been looking for.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 09:54 AM

YOU can just walk straight west on P St into Georgetown if you want. I'm not sure I'd want to do that at night by myself, but I probably would with someone. If you are just looking for an easy way to get to Georgetown, there's a cheap shuttle bus service that goes there from Dupont Circle until midnight or so (and back), that would be the easiest and safest thing, probably. Here's a description of its route and stops:
http://www.georgetowndc.com/shuttle.php

I don't really like going past 16th St or so to the east on most streets, but it's not too bad on some, although I don't know why you'd be going over there anyway.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 12:50 PM

The Dupont Circle area is a safe area for tourists, and you can easily walk down P St. to Georgetown. As with any big city, excercise caution and you'll be fine.

The lower 14th St area around 14th and Rhode Island Ave has undergone an amazing transformation over the past several years. In 1990 I wouldn't have even gotten out of my car, but today I feel relatively safe walking down the sidewalk at night. Not a whole lot for a tourist to see, but the locals are happy!

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:51 AM
X

We stayed in Dupont Circle a couple of years ago and decided to walk to Georgetown. Never felt unsafe, but hailed a cab about halfway...It's longer than you think it is.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 06:06 AM
LN

Washington is a truly wonderful city and I've worked in it for a number of years. As a visitor I would be careful as to where I venture off to. We do have our share of predators out there. Don't allow yourself to be put into a questionable situation. When in doubt, take a cab or the subway.

There's many great restaurants and hotels in the Dupont Circle area as well as other areas in town. For women it's much safer to hop the subway or take a cab cause the walks could be loooong and, too long to Georgetown.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 06:29 AM

The shuttle Christina writes of, the Georgetown Shuttle, picks up passengers at the Metro Stops at Rosslyn, Foggy Bottem, and Dupont Circle with dropoff/ pickup points at various locations in Gtown. Fare is 50 cents, but only 25 cents if you have a valid transfer pass from the subway. We walked M St between the 2 points, where the street is "wide open" views ... we were told that some of the other streets are more quiet and "secluded" (for DC anyway), although it didn't concern us. We really liked the Barcelo. Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 08:30 AM

You HAVE to go to the Old Ebbit Grill for Sunday Brunch. It's right by the White House and a GREAT dining experience. Enjoy!!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the advice on safety and the streets around Dupont Circle
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:56 PM

Just there last week (brrrr) and the only place I felt a little unsafe at night was crossing the bridge into Georgetown on M Street. Quite a few bums that were begging... and got a little irritated when we would not give them anything. Take the shuttle.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Echoing what everyone else has said. You'll be fine walking at night. Just use your head like you would in any major city.

Also, I'm not sure if the last poster is talking about Key Bridge or the small bridge that kind of links Foggy Bottom and G'town, but I've walked both many times into G'town, and have never been hassled by anyone, or felt nervous.

For brunch, Cafe LaRouche on 31st Street (walk toward the river from M Street) is great. I'm now craving the crab quiche. Service isn't the best, but the food is. I also really like Martin's for brunch (on Wisconsin). Both aren't as touristy as Old Ebbitt. Oh, and both are in Georgetown.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 01:36 PM

You have some great and varied dining choices very close by.....across the street is Mimi's which is fun. Just up the street is Tiramisu, a great little Italian spot. There is a multitude of Asian, Korean, Chinese, American, Ethiopian and other restaurants just on P Street alone.This is a great area to stay.