Safeco, Pike Place, Seattle in late May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm visiting Seattle in late May, staying in hotel near Pike Place Market. Planning to attend a Mariners game some weeknight. What is the best way to get to/from Pike Place Market to Safeco? It looks to be about 1.5 miles. Is this a safe walk in the evening?
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would consider it safe, as it is fairly busy part of town. Some of the walk is a bit industrial/traffic (between the end of Pioneer Square and the stadiums) so not the prettiest part of town.

You could also catch any Metro bus heading south for free for part of the distance just get off when the "free ride zone" ends (they'll announce it) and walk the rest.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:32 PM

About 4 years ago my husband and son did this walk at dusk. They said area seemed ugly, but fine. However, when we got back a young male friend - former resident of Seattle - told me they were crazy for doing it as it was not a safe walk. Have no idea if he was correct, but he was not the easily scared type.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:38 PM

I will be interested to hear the opinions of other locals, I would hate to be giving incorrect information or impressions.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Certainly going to the game is no problem - it will be during rush hour and there are tons of folks out and about.

Pretty much the same story coming back, except it's a fair old hike and by the time you get up to the Pike Market end of the walk (and it's uphill the last 3/4 mi.) the street crowds may have thinned out (not if on a Friday or Saturday, BTW.) I wouldn't think you'd feel it to be unsafe, although people have different thresholds. You might want to hop a bus, especially if the weather is "springlike" - i.e. wet. But certainly nothing to worry much about.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:20 AM

There is nothing unsafe about it, nor is it ugly (Pioneer Square and 1st ave are ugly? Since when?). I work on that street and know the area well (I also always walk to games). You are better off on foot going there, as 1st ave will be jammed with traffic, though if you're tired after the game and don't want to walk uphill, taking a cab back to your hotel would be doable (no rush hour traffic on the streets). You will for sure walk past homeless people, but there aren't safety issues.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:09 AM

I'm local, female and under 40 and I work in south pioneer square- a few blocks from the stadiums. I park by the stadium and walk by myself everyday back and forth. the area is completely safe with normal precautions taken. there are many homeless people in the area that I know are a bit unsettling to some but I've never had an issue in over 5 years.

Also the crowds of people will be walking too! many people park on the north end of pioneer square as it is so much cheaper and then they walk.

there are also pedi cabs but I find them expensive.

Have a great time, it is a beautiful stadium! and there are many bars on 1st Ave to fuel your walk!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM

oh good. i drove along 1st Avenue South on that stretch last weekend for the first time in ages and was very impressed how spruced up everything was.