Bumbershoot

Aug 25th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Ali25

Bumbershoot

Unbeknownst to us, we have pleasantly discovered that the Bumbershoot is happening in Seattle Center the weekend that we arrive for vacation. I know that it will be great...but, I do have a few questions for Seattle people. Will it be overly crowded enough that we should make dinner reservations down by the waterfront or elsewhere ahead of time? Or just relax and worry about it when we arrive? Also, do the major hotels have shuttle service to most areas of the city? We are staying at the Mediterranean Inn in Queen Anne and were thinking we could do much by foot...and, where do we pick up the monorail close to our hotel - if need be? I know that the staff will be helpful once we arrive, but I'm a "planner", unfortunately. Thanks for any input!

Aug 25th, 2005, 07:29 AM

The monorail is located in Seattle Center, near the Space Needle--a short walk from your hotel, but your hotel is located about a block from the bus stop for several busses that go down town: 1, 2, 13, 15, 18. Also, bus 8 goes to Capitol Hill.

My guess is that the Mediterranean Inn does not have a shuttle to take you around Seattle, but I could be wrong.

If you know where at at what time you want to dine, you can't go wrong by making a reservation now.
Aug 25th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Bumbershoot crowds shouldn't affect your plans for Seattle-in fact, it might make other things less crowded, as the festival runs until 10 or 11 pm and festival goers tend to stay and eat on the Seattle Center grounds.
Aug 25th, 2005, 10:44 AM

I meant to add that, if you like to walk, your hotel is within walking distance of downtown. You could walk directly down 1st Avenue to the retail core, or you could turn right on Broad Street and walk along the waterfront to the Pike Place Market and from the market to the retail core.

On the waterfront, Bell Street Diner is a good place for a reasonably priced lunch of fresh seafood. Try the Cioppino with Caesar salad.
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:15 AM

You are easy walking distance to Seattle Center where Bumbershoot is held & where you will find the monorail station (just a couple blocks from that hotel).

You can get to downtown from lower Queen Anne on Metro bus or walking on 1st Avenue as mentioned above.

Bumbershoot shouldn't effect the number of people eating dinner at the nicer restaurants around town.

The only place that will be crowded is AT and around the festival itself. I find it is helpful to get a schedule ahead (I'm sure it will be online somewhere) and have a plan of attack for what you want to see and which days and times you want to attend. If you're completely open just wandering around is fun, but the well-known performers/groups often are full or have huge line-ups. (I haven't attended in a few years but isn't there some kind of tickets or bracelets or something for the big shows these days? Anyone??)

Aug 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM

I hope you get a chance to go to Bumber, it is such an amazing festival! People fly in from all over to attend. You can check out the line up here:

http://www.bumbershoot.org/lineup.html
Aug 25th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Oooh, you need to buy your tickets TODAY! They go up $10 per day after today. You can buy them online at bumbershoot.org...and hopefully the fees won't eat up the savings (if they do outweigh the savings, then just plan on buying tickets at the door).

Aug 25th, 2005, 12:58 PM

And yes, Suze, you need to get a (free) wristband for the nightly headliners on the Mainstage (Memorial Stadium). Depending on the headliner, the wristbands can be gone by early afternoon. I would expect that Elvis Costello will be a big draw on Sunday so getting there early to get a wristband would be a good idea.
Aug 25th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Wristbands can be gone in the morning. My expereince the past few years is that it's pretty hopeless trying to see the big names unless you are willing to spend hours in lines. It's still a good festival for discovering lesser known performers, but even then, if there is someone you really want to see, go to the venue while the previous performer is still playing.