Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

S.F. hotels which of these would you recommend for a luxurious rooms and amenities: Huntingtonon Nob Hill, Campton Place, The Palace

Search

S.F. hotels which of these would you recommend for a luxurious rooms and amenities: Huntingtonon Nob Hill, Campton Place, The Palace

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending our 20th anniversary in San Francisco n Nov. and would like somewhere special to stay. I have narrowed it down to these three. Any recommendations?
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

TT for help please.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM

I was hoping you'd get responses from more recent travellers.

But I will say that Campton Place would be my choice. I've stayed there many times and the service and amenities are first rate. The rooms can be small but are so luxurious that won't matter.

I'm sure if you book there and tell them the occasion, they will do their best to offer a great room.

I'm sure you've checked trip advisor, and hopefully, the SF experts will chime in here when they get home from work !

Happy Anniversary !

Marion
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Any reason you haven't considered the Four Seasons? I think it's the best in town- as do the celebs who frequent it!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:24 PM

You could throw the Mandarin Oriental into the mix too - check their website for specials.

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 07:52 PM

Hello AMcanadian, in order of hotels for luxery etc. I would choose the Huntington #1, for location if you want to be around Union Sq. etc. Campton Place #1. Quite frankly I would personally not stay at The Sheraton Palace. Best wishes to you two on your 20th Anniversary and welcome to San Francisco!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 10:01 PM

I agree with the recommendations already posted. I would skip the Palace. You could also (maybe have already) look into the Mark Hopkins and the Clift. the Mark is a lovely location.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Why no love for The Palace? It's got amazing history.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Compton, the Four Seasons, Huntington, then Fairmont. I don't know much about the Nob Hill or the Palace. The Palace has a great afternoon tea, though. The Clift is pretty impersonal- stay far away if you can. The only downside to the Huntington and Fairmont is that while they are atop picturesque Nob Hill, you either need to drive up it or cram your way on a cable car. Another option might be to try a nice little B&B like the Union Street Inn (www.unionstreetinn.com) or The Archbishop's Mansion (www.thearchbishopsmansion.com).
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Not sure why anyone would diss The Palace either, Bill. It sure is the real thing, holds a lot of history and gets mostly rave reviews.

It's hasn't been called a Sheraton for years, although it is a Luxury Collection in the Starwood holdings.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
Thank you, all, for your best wishes and helpful responses. I narrowed our choices to these three because their rates were similiar in the $250 a nite range (actually the Campton rate is $298)
I am wondering for the $50 a nite difference between the Huntington and The Campton Place, all things considered, which would you choose, then?
It IS a special anniversary but as my mother would say ... we are not made of money.
Thanks again.
AM
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 10:36 PM

All things considered, go with the Campton Place. Staying there will place you more in the thick of things, in the heart of Union Square. The Huntington would get you some better vistas but Nob Hill can be rather dead in the evening and requires walking, or cab, to get to busier areas. The weather in November could take a turn and become blustery and wet so having a room on Union Square where there are lots of restaurants, stores and activites nearer by would be nice.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again for your help. I look forward to a wonderful stay.
AM
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Hello AMcanadian, I second the suggestion of bluestar's for the Campton Place. Nob Hill is lovely but it is not in the center of things and if Novermber does have rain it will be so much easier for you to be at Union Square. If there is winter weather don't let that worry you, I love SF in winter time.

Wishing you a beautiful and happy 20th anniversary and a wonderful time in SF.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Hello All,
I really wish I had taken your good advice because my husband and I just returned from our wonderful week in San Francisco
The only huge disappointment we had was our hotel. We stayed at THE HUNTINGTON HOTEL. We reserved a luxury room with a view. I called the hotel the night before to confirm our reservation. When we arrived we were given one of the worst "luxury" rooms I have ever stayed in. The carpets, drapes and furniture, what little there was, were worn and dirty, the lighting was poor, the bathroom was miniscule and there was a musty smell in the room (which was #1203) I complained the next morning, we were changed to (#1003) which was in the same condition! That morning we spoke to the manager and showed him our reservation, he promised to change our room to a "renovated" one but when we returned to the hotel in the afternoon, nothing had changed.
Needless to say I was very upset because we had chosen The Huntington over The Campton Place and The Palace (which were the same price) because we had read that the rooms were big and beautiful!
After a serious discussion with the front desk, a very condescending man, we were finally given a room that was clean and up to date (#1210).
The whole situation has left us with a terrible impression of the Huntington and we will never stay or recommend that hotel to anyone.
My advice to anyone who has plans to stay there... make sure you get in writing that the room you reserved is renovated or stay somewhere else.
Thanks again for your help I will never disregard it again.

AMCanadian

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:10 PM

Hello AMcanadian, so you went to SF in October instead of November. Well you had good weather at least. I am sorry that the Huntington Hotel was not pleasant. I have had the same experience with the Fairmont Hotel on NobHill.

I hope you will come back to SF at some point and try another visit, in a different hotel of course. Best wishes to you.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Hello LoveItaly (I do too)
Yes, we decided to go in Oct and the weather was indeed good, just got home yesterday.
Of course, I will return to San Francisco, I love The City, we actually try to visit every other year or so.
Next time I'll stay at The Campton, tho!
Thanks again,
AMCanadian