Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

RTW trip Leave in 12 days, thanks one and all.

Dec 7th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Just a little note to say thank you all for the wonderful advice. I wish I could remember you all by name,but I dont want to leave anyone out. I have been planning this trip for over 12 months and I can't believe its nearly timeto go. The bulk of the trip has been planned and booked thanks to the friendly folk at Fodors. I will give a general over view of the trip and promise a very indepth report on our return.

We are a family of 4, mum, dad, two daughters 19 & 17.

Flying out of Brisbane on the 20th Dec. to LAX via Auckland. One night airport Holiday inn, then onto NYC on the 21st. And before anyone condems me, no I can't get a direct flight, we are flying Star Alliance, no direct flights to nyc on star alliance.

We are staying at the Affinia Manhatten for 7 nights. Can'twait. We have a tour booked with Big Apple greeters for the first morning. We have requested a 'run down' on using the subway and a good look at Central Park. Two things we didn't do on our last trip,7 years ago. WE will get a 2 or 3 day hop on hop off tour ticket.

Dh wants to hire a car to take DD's to Woodbury Common. Are we mad?

Xmas eve we have VIP tickets for RCMH xmas spectacular, very excited. Xmas lunch at the Waldorf Astoria.

The rest of the time we just want to explore. Staten Island ferry, Ground Zero, South st Seaport, the list is endless.
On to Orlando for 10days. Staying at Quality Inn Main Gate East. 5 day Disney pass and plan to hire a car and visit Kennedy space cnt. Undecided what to do for NY eve. but it sounds like Epcot is the place to be?

Then Chicago for 4 days. Holiday inn Down Town. Ran into some folk that had just returned from 6 years working in Chicago, theysuggested some restaurants. Looking forward to trying those.

London here we come. & nights at apartment in Kensington. Meeting up with some friends from Brisbane for the week. Hope to see WWRU in London. Would like to hire a mini van and all go 'exploring' outside of London for a day.

We are all catching the Eurostar (lashed out and got 1st class) to Paris for a week. sTaying at Parisperfect, Chardonay, thanks to advice from this forum. Again hope to hire a van and just go!

Then on to Rome via Munich for 5 days. Meeting up with a manfrom Melbourne we got to know by visiting his cafe. He has promised to takeus to Pompeii.

Home on the 31 Jan. Thanksagain everyone.
Dec 7th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Dh wants to hire a car to take DD's to Woodbury Common. Are we mad?

I don't know if you're asking about going or renting the car. If you want to do some high end designer discount shopping then you're not mad. Some would say there's plenty of discount shopping in Manhattan (which is true) but there is something to be said for having it all in one place and having a car with a trunk (boot) to put it in. Renting a car for 4 makes more money sense as well I think, than taking the bus. The regular bus from Port Authority costs $35/person and I don't think children are less (but double check). There is a cheaper bus for $25/person that leaves right near Penn Station (which is near your hotel). If you're worried about the drive, that might be an option. The downside to that is only 1 bus a day in each direction so you're stuck there for the day. Info here

http://www.expresstrails.com/

Hope you have a superb trip. Just in case, here's a link to holiday info for NYC

http://www.nymetro.com/guides/holidays/
Dec 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM

aussie...great! i'll be brief...

*do not rent a car and go to woodbury commons. it's really over congested around the holidays.

*forget the staten island ferry. try the circle line. it's a bit of a step up.

enjoy the trip!
Dec 7th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Bon Voyage - can't WAIT to read your trip report! Have fun, be safe
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:24 PM

wow...got room for me and the kiddies in your suitcase??
Have a WONDERFUL time, this is a trip and a half!!!
Also looking forward to the TR when you return home and are rested!