Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Woodbury Common outlet shopping- take a Bus or rent a car for 1 day? (3 people)

Notices

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are going to be staying in Manhattan and want to spend a day shopping in Woodbury Common. (We are from Europe so things are much much cheaper in NY)

Regarding transport- we can either take

-Grayline coachusa bus ($39)- large choice of bus times
- Express trail bus $30 but only 1 bus time there and back.

How feasible is it to rent a car for 1 day- picking up in central Manhattan, driving to Woodbury Common and coming back in the afternoon? We would drop the car back to Avis or Hertz upon arrival as parking is expensive. It will be a weekday in October.

I realise that traffic would certainly be bad early morning- are we crazy to consider it? This would certainly seem a cheaper option- even with tolls it works out less than $100.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's very feasible and a lot more convenient (imo) esp. if you avoid rush hour and are used to driving on the right side of the road. Have a look on whizzcarrental.com (a co. from the UK) that includes all insurance in their quote. They use either National or Alamo and I think both have various pick up spots in Manhattan.

Picking an arbitrary Mon. in November, with National at west 40th st. location, I got a price of $87.50 including all taxes and insurance for a pickup at 9am and drop off at 9 pm. For smaller cars, it's less.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:14 AM
GoTravel

After a day of power shopping (it is exhausting to me) the last thing I'd want to do is have to deal with driving.

I'd spend a little more and go with the Grayline coach bus.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I disagree. It's really convenient to have the car to put packages in and move around if you want. You can come and go as you please rather than worry about a bus schedule. This all assumes you're comfortable driving here.

If you don't rent a car, you may need to bring (or buy) a big suitcase on rollers to wheel around your purchases. They do have lockers they rent there, but you have to get there first thing to find availability.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would definitely take a car. You can also be stowing packages in the front throughout the day. It would annoy me more to know that I was tied to a bus schedule and would have to scramble on it with a bunch of strangers. Being able to leave when I wanted too and not worry about trakcing my bags is a big advantage. I go to Woodbury about 3-4 times per year and ALWAYS drive. Either we borrow a friend's parent's car or rent one from zipcar for the day.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're crazy! Not... Locals rent for the day or weekend in Manhattan all the time. I rent frequently.

You'll be going opposite the flow of the traffic, so going there shouldn't be too bad. Leave early and you'll get there quicker. Coming back might be iffy, but not as bad as leaving Manhattan at the end of the day.

Depending on where you're renting from, give yourself additional time for picking up the car. Sometimes I've waited 45 minutes to pickup my car.

Add in liability insurance, taxes and gas, your total should come out above $100, but it's well worth it since you'll be bringing back lots of stuff.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:26 AM
GoTravel

Good point about being able to dump off packages at the car. I didn't think about that.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for your *speedy* replies mclaurie lizziea06 and GoTravel.

My preference would be to drive because it gives us somewhere to put our shopping and the flexibility of coming home when we want, or stopping somewhere to eat on the way back.

My concern is that traffic getting out of NY will be nuts and my passengers will get frazzled sitting in traffic. As our body clocks will be on European time, I'd like to take advantage of our 'alert' by getting up early and picking up a car at 8AM (WC opens at 10AM).

Mapquest says it will take 1hour to drive, but my friend who came back on a bus from WC says it took her 3 hours in rush hour!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll hit some traffic, but it shouldn't take anywhere near 3 hours.
When are you coming? If it's within the next couple weeks, you'll be here during the peak foliage season. If so, definitely take the scenic (non-highway) route up or back or both!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nstevey, HowardR, thanks too.

Am heading towards renting a car, with GPS navigation of course. I have driven in the US many times before and it's easy so that part of it doesn't concern me.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd definitely rent a car as well and agree with your early start. Woodbury Commons gets very crowded as the day goes along. Before you leave, sign up for their premium shoppers club (it's free) and you'll get a coupon book when you go to the information center. Also, there's a large Walmart and Target just on the other side of the thruway, if you want to do some different shopping after Woodbury!
Have fun!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice info MP07950

Have downloaded their printable coupons from the site so we wouldn't have to find the management office when we got there. (I understand it is biiiig)

ALso do you know about Jersey Gardens? Is it an outlet mall- ie cheaper than regular merchandise?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd definitely look into a car for Woodbury Common (there are other interesting things to see upstate if you don't want to just go to the outlet mall). For a one-day rental from Manhattan, you should check Enterprise. They often have better deals on one-day rentals ... but not always.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would absolutely rent a car and drive.

With 3 people the car will cost no more than the bus and will be much more convenient:

you can come and go on your own schedule - not worryig about bus times

Once you've bought some stuff you can take it back and put in the car trunk - so you don't have to carry a dozen packages with you all day

There are Hertz, Avis and several other car rental agencies in the west 70s. Pick up a car there and hop on the West Side Highway at 79th St (about 5 blocks in the city) then it's all highway the rest of the way.

Reserve a car in advance using the 800# and ask for all the discounts (I know Hertz gives a % off for using AmEx).

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought they had lockers at Woodbury Commons
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woodbury Common is a great shopping destination and I agree renting a car is probably the best idea. I'd suggest picking up the car at 7am and take off right then, maybe stopping along the way for something to eat. Leaving earlier you will miss traffic, leaving at 8 you will be right in the MIDDLE of rush hour traffic.

If you are looking for a couple more suggestions for shopping, you might head down to NJ and stop at the Lenox Factory, nice place for Christmas gifts and from there to Franklin Mills another good shopping spot, just north of Philadelphia and less than a 2 hour drive door to door.

You might try the website for more suggestions on mills in the area, there is also one in NJ, and this website will give you the info. www.franklinmills.com

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, rent a car. You will be going against traffic and as you're going on a weekday, WC will not be that crowded (my parents go during the week, they always tell me it's empty), place is insane on the weekends. It's nice to have the car to put all your bargains in, then you can stop at the hotel to drop all off before returning the car.

You've got the best strategy, get up early and get going early. Should not take more than 1 hour to get there and it's a pretty drive (especially if you go up the Palisades Parkway).

You will find everything to be a bargain!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jersey Gardens is much closer to Manhattan and has the advantage of no sales tax on clothes in NJ. The 2 places have a few of the same stores, but Woodbury is bigger and has more designer stuff (Chanel, Gucci etc.) Jersey Gardens is enclosed and WC is not. For middle of the road brands, Jersey Gardens is prob. more convenient but most would say not as nice stuff.