Routing to Hawaii from Charlotte

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Routing to Hawaii from Charlotte

I've been to Hawaii three times now and each time I think I've done it wrong somewhat.

We live in Charlotte and have always gone on United either with or because of frequent flier miles. This time, I'll probably go United once again but may mix in some USAirways since they code share.

I'm curious as to suggestions on routing to Maui or Kauai. We're looking to hit both islands over Thanksgiving this year. I have several options including:

- Flights to Honolulu from Chicago, Denver, San Francisco or Los Angeles.

- Flights to Maui or Kauai from San Francisco or Los Angeles.

- Direct flights from Charlotte to Denver, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

I've thought about stopping over in LA or San Francisco. The reason I think we've done it a bit wrong in the past is that we usually travel all day long and get in around 11:00 the first night, thereby wasting one night's lodging on a travel day to Hawaii.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you folks may have on going from east coast to Hawaii, or specifically from Charlotte to Hawaii.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 11:56 AM

On a schedule standpoint, the LAX/SFO connection to OGG/LIH are preferred. Single connection, and earlier arrival.

However, also keep in mind that all USAir flights from CLT to the W. Coast are on narrow-body planes, and all of the UA flights into LIH plus some into OGG are on narrow-bodied 757s. They can be quite a bit less comfortable than the 767/777 used on the HNL (and other OGG) flights, and have no personal video screens.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Very good point on all of the above. Thanks...anyone else?
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Yep, fewer connections make the trip shorter all right. But if you stop over in LA or San Francisco you will still be wasting one night's lodging PLUS you will lose another half day in Hawaii to travel time.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:34 AM

We leave Oct. 19th from Grand Rapids MI at 6:30 am, go through Chicago O'Hare, San Francisco, to OGG arriving at 2:12 pm local time. Return trip is leaving LIH at 1:20 pm, arriving GRR next day, 10:00 am. All flights UAL. first time trip, so I'm not sure it's right either!!! We'll see!!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:39 AM
GoTravel

I'd fly UA's Chicago-Honolulu route.

Not sure on that long of a flight but most airlines don't let you have a volounteer layover of more than four hours without penalty.

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:20 AM

My husband and I are planning our second trip to HI in Dec. We too will be trying to arrange flights from Charlotte, NC (CLT) to the BI where we'd like to spend 4-5 days and then on to Maui for another 5 days. I vaguely remember our last travel itinerary, but it definitely was a smaller plane than I'd like and I nearly had to drug myself to make it though that long flight. That's the worst part of part of the trip to HI, but it's worth it! Mdtravel, what did you finally decided to do with your flight schedule? Rates are actually fairly reasonable right now, providing you travel to Honolulu. By the way does anyone have an idea of the island-tranfer fares? I had noticed in an earlier thread that they are about $80. Is that one way?