morning flights out of Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of any airlines that fly out of either Kahului or Kona that leave in the morning? Those flights that leave at night and get me home the next afternoon really slay me! I'm disoriented for two weeks! I find it impossible to sleep on the planes or perhaps I could adust. The last time I flew from Maui, the person in front of me had a faulty armrest that kept popping back and whacking me on the leg! I was almost psychotic by the time we got to Dallas.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:26 AM

I don't think there are any morning flights. As far as I know the reason is "aircraft utilization". If they depart Hawaii at night it is morning when they arrive on the mainland and the aircraft is then available for flights during the peak daytime hours on the mainland. If they departed Hawaii in the morning they would arrive on the mainland in the evening, too late for the peak demand period, and the aircraft would then sit idle.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rusty! I'll bet you're right. Once again, my comfort is sacrificed to the god of corporate profits!
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:56 AM

Could you possibly fly Aloha Air, whose flights always leave in the morning, sometimes very early, to one of their west coast cities and then get a flight to Dallas?

love
roxy
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I had that thought and will look into it. It does almost double the cost of the flying portion of the trip...
But, it might be worth it!
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:05 PM

That's what we do. We fly from the midwest late afternoon to California. We get up early and we're in Maui by noon. On the return trip we leave Maui in the late afternoon arriving in CA around 10:00. We then catch a late morning flight to the midwest. I pay no more doing two legs than one direct flight. The only additional cost is for the room in CA. It's worth it for me because I can't sleep worth a darn on the plane.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:42 AM

Crazy:
Sacrifice your comfort for "corporate profits"? Can't imagine you fly an airline to Hawaii that makes any money, though they're in business to try. In the long run, the ones that don't earn a profit fly into oblivion-no where near Hawaii on my map.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Lex 1 -

I'm aware that the airlines make very little on many of their flights anymore, especially when gas prices are so high. I'm grateful for air travel. - That's for sure. It's tempting to poke fun at the airlines at times, but I can imagine what it must have been like for the old timers to make that ocean voyage both ways. Few people got the opportunity that we sometimes take for granted.

I'm definitely going to try the two-legged journey next time from the mid-South It sounds infinitely more tolerable! Thanks for your advice.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

dantheman -

Which city do you fly into on the coast? Then do you take Aloha Airlines? I notice that Aloha has departures from Oakland, Sacramento, and Burbank.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:28 PM

We are going in to Oakland this Friday.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:36 PM
GoTravel

I feel for ya. Nothing like a West to East Redeye that will destroy your sleep for a week or two.

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:30 PM

We have a flight from maui to oakland through North American Airlines and we leave at 1:00 and arrive in Oakland at 8:55.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 10:56 AM

Be sure to check your complete flight back home, if you have a layover or not.

Our friends left on a 6PM flight, while we took a 9PM one the same date. We caught up with them in Houston...They had spent their 3 HRs. at Bush International Airport, while we were able to Hike Manoa Falls in Oahu during our last few Hrs.!

Belle.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 07:28 PM

I would recommend a night at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland Waterfront

>>>>> We have a flight from maui to oakland through North American Airlines and we leave at 1:00 and arrive in Oakland at 8:55.>>>>>>>>