Florida vacation 2005

Search

Florida vacation 2005

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida vacation 2005

Hy everybody.. I guess I'm a bit early but then I like to plan ahead.
We want to go on a 2 1/2 weeks vacation to Florida (we are from Europe). Our plan would be to start in Orlando - want to see Seaworld, Epcot Center - (what else??) - we did already see DL and Universal St. in LA 3 years ago. From Orlando we would like to drive to Miami - stay maybe 2 days and go down to Key West and the Everglades. Then also to spent a couple of days at a beach, where we would like to go diving..where is it better? Atlantik coast, Gulf of mexico or even go to the caribic??
My question know - what time to the year should we go - we were thinking either of May 2005 or in September 2005 - we want to avoid big crowds and school holidays. Is there anything to see north of Orlando??.
Thanks for the help and hints..
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:17 AM

I had slightly less time than you when I was in Florida but last September had the following itinerary: Orlando 5 nights, Fort Lauderdale 2 nights, Key Largo 1 night, Key West 3 nights, Miami 3 nights.

If I did the same trip again I could easily drop Orlando and spend the time elsewhere but I was in a group of five so there was inevitable compromise about places/timings etc. It sounds like you know what you want to see in Orlando although I would say a day at Kennedy Space Center is very worthwhile (I am not a space fanatic by any means but enjoyed it).

I thought September was a great time to go because places were less crowded (especially the parks in Orlando etc - no queues for any of the rides). I expect people will tell you May is generally a better time of year to visit Florida though but I haven't been then so can't compare.

You can fit the Evergaldes in as a day trip from Miami or on your way down to the Keys. We stayed in Key Largo to break up the journey and to go to the John Pennekemp State Park where we all did various different things (snorkelled, hired kayaks etc).
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 03:17 AM

I live in Florida, North Florida actually so of course I think there are plenty of things to do. It is a really different experience than the one you've planned (small, quaint towns instead of cities) If you do decide to venture north I would fly into Jacksonville and plan to visit Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach then drive south to St. Augustine. Then if you decided to go to the space center you could drive from St. Augustine to Cocoa Beach. Cocoa to Orlando is about 45 min, and Fernandina to St. Augustine is about 1.5 hours.
As for the weather, I would choose September. Both months are going to be very hot, but in Sept the kids are back in school.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

hy thx for the help - want will the temperature be like in Sept.??
Yes we want to see the Space Center. it may seem that we are only interessted in big cities - but then we want to see as much as possible, but I do like to see small towns.
Are there any areas in Orlando or Miami that we should avoid - like where should we choose a hotel in either cities? - In Orlando it would be good to be close to SeaWorld Thx.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM

We have been to Florida in late April/early May, and it was great weather. Also been in the middle of summer, and that's fine with me. But I have tried to avoid the peak "hurricane" season and fall, but then again, I am inclined to avoid stuff like that.

If you like amusement parks, I would add MGM Studios and/or Animal Kingdom at Disney World. Both have unique attractions.

Don't miss Bahia Honda State Park beaches and diving/snorkeling at Looe Key (accessible from Bahia) on your way to Key West. The beaches at Bahia are beautiful, the water is warm, and it is a good place to dive. It was one of the highlights of our Keys vacation, along with snorkeling at Pennekamp in Key Largo and kayaking in lower Keys. My vote for best kayak tour: Scarlet Ibis Tours--go through wildlife refuge and see areas with crystal clear water teeming with life.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:17 PM

I live in Florida. May is generally the better month because no chance of hurricane. Both months are great for weather, but September will be little more hot and humid. The hurricane season starts on June 1 and lasts till December 1. The chances of it happening during your visit are very slim but in September the chance is there.

For diving the keys are the best. I do prefer the west coast for swimming and the beaches. The Gulf of Mexico has calmer and warmer waters.

If you decide to do a circle trip (Orlando-Miami-Key West-Naples-Sarasota and finally back to Orlando) you would get a little taste of everything. If you decide just to stay on the east coast,then why not consider flying into Orlando and out of Miami.

I live on Siesta key, (Sarasota). Beautiful beaches, great little paradise, I higly recommend it. Also south of here (Ft.Myers) you have Sanibel and the gorgeous Captiva Islands. Captiva is more laid back, quiet, old Florida. Siesta Key is more developed, but it has some of the best sand in the world.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 03:32 PM

I love Key West, return every year. However, I wouldn't return again in September because several of the best restaurants are closed for pretty much the entire month. So, my vote goes to May. Jean
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:18 PM

I also live in Florida (Orlando area)and agree that May (the first half) is a better choice than September. Slightly lower temperatures, probably a little drier than September, and certainly a better chance of no hurricanes! Florida schools let out the third week of May, which is why I suggest the first half of the month.

If you have kids of any age with you - or adults who like roller coasters - you absolutely do not want to miss Universal Studios' Islands of Adventure. It is the best park in Orlando (at least according to me and all my family members)!

It will take you four hours to drive to Miami from Orlando, then four hours again (depending on traffic) to Key West. So you might want to really think about how much moving around you want to do. It's a big state, but a trip back up to Orlando via the west coast of Florida would be very nice.

There are just SO many hotels in the Orlando area. If there are more than four of you, or if you'd like to do any of your own cooking, consider renting a condo or house instead of a hotel room. I can heartily recommend www.vrbo.com (Vacation Rental By Owner) for rentals.

My sister lives in Key West, so I'm pretty familiar with the area between here and there. She and I usually meet in Ft. Lauderdale for vacations - an area you might want to consider instead of Miami.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Check out this website for information on The Keys:
www.SEE-FloridaKeys.com

They have loads of information and maps. You might want to stop in Key Largo after visiting Everglades National Park. You can see John Pennekamp Park and do some snorkeling or diving in this area.

When you get to Key West, there are some nice hotels or Bed & Breakfast places. We stayed at The Eaton Lodge and didn't like it, so I can't recommend that B&B. Ambrosia House looked very nice and clean. You'll want to saty in the Old Town section if you want to be near all the action. They have wonderful public transportation and various trolleys you can take to see the area. You'll probably want to just leave the car parked while you are there because parking can be difficult at times.

I also vote for the first or second week of May.

Happy planning!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

hy, thx for the great suggestions..
We are planing in flying into Orlando and out from Miami.
As I've read through a few posts, I think the Keys would be a great place to stay for diving and beach.
Any recommendations for what I have to be careful when choosing accomendation?
Last time we stayed in the US (California-trip SF to LA)being on the road we stayed a Motels (Super 8 and Motel 6). But when we stay for a couple of days at a place we want to have a nice but affordable - say about $ 100/room.
Thx
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:49 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Florida a couple of years back. We flew into Miami, drove to Orlando, Tampa, Naples and back to Miami. I have posted a trip report with lots of pictures on my personal homepage gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:44 AM

visit the website, www.flausa.com Lots of helpful information on planning a Florida vacation. Orlando is full of tons of things to do and see. After leaving Orlando, I would travel down south on I-4 Highway over to St Petersburg, Florida. Spend a day or two there. Lots of things to do and see, museums, childrens museum, beaches that are out of this world! Keep traveling south down to Naples, cross into Highway 41 into the Big Cypress Park. There take a swamp tour and see the Everglades. Alligators, birds, etc. Travel east on 41 to Key Largo. At Key Largo stay at the Howard Johnsons Hotel ($109). They have a beach on the property where you can snorkel, you can possibly see manatees, horseshoe crabs, barracudas, and lots of fish. In Key Largo you can take a snorkel trip with Captain Slate, he'll feed sharks and eels while you'll snorkel on top and watch! John Pennekamp State park is here too, good snorkeling and exploring available. Travel on down the keys and visit Theater of the Sea (Marathon Key) and see dolphin and sea lion shows, turtles, etc. Then keep traveling to Key West, enjoy maritime museums, Ripleys believe it or not, shopping, bars, fun people, and beautiful sunsets at Mallory square. Expedia.com or Orbitz has good hotel rates! Have fun. Florida is one of my favorite places to travel to!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:24 AM

I would not let the threat of a Hurricane influence your choice of month simply because of the amount of time you are going to be in Florida and how you don't seem to have your heart set on any single location. Remember that hurricanes, while very dangerous and powerful storms, are predictable and small in terms of the areas they threaten. A hurricane that is threatening Key West might just bring gusty winds and rain to Key Largo, and mean nothing at all to Fort Lauderdale. Just have some "plan B" destinations in Florida in case a storm ends up threatening your first choice.

I'm not making light of hurricanes, but you'll have about 2 day's warning; check out of the motel, pack your luggage into the rental car, and drive away from the darn thing to one of Florida's other great destinations.