Route - Sedona to Grand Canyon and back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the pros and cons (and your thoughts) on the 3 options for getting from Sedona to Grand Canyon (actually from Flagstaff)? 40 west to Williams and then north on 64? or 180 northwest to Valle and then north? or north on 89 to Cameron and west on 64, entering from the east. Which route would be fastest? most scenic? This would be mid-September timeframe. Thx!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

tt
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Topping this. I have the same question. We will be doing this trip next week. Is going thru Cameron and entering the eastern entrance less of a hassle(no lines?). Hope we get some advice travlsolo2.

MY
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Fairhope

I am choosing 180-San francisco Peaks Road in Oct. here's why
http://www.arizonascenicroads.com/main.aspx

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:29 PM

You might find the thread titled "Route 180 Flagstaff to GC-Dangerous?" of some help. Sorry, I don't know how to link it here. It convinced me that 180 was the way to try when we go next week, as some said it was both shorter and more scenic than the other routes.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:36 PM

I'm doing this trip next year, and was also wondering if anyone knew if the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon was a worthwhile way to get there?
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 11:25 PM

I would exit the park going back to Sedona driving east on Hwy 64 to Cameron. Make sure you leave time to stop along the way to see the scenic overlooks all the way to Desert View. After you exit the park you will decend and have a very scenic view of the surrounding areas. You might also want to stop at the Little Colorado Canyon where there is an outdoor Indian mall. As you travel south on Hwy 89, you might like to take the Hwy 395 loop to Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater.

LoisL,

I have never taken the train but YOU DO NOT SEE any of the canyon on the train ride.

Utahtea

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Utahtea, thanks for that mention. I had seen something that showed 'beautiful scenery', and that was the only reason I was looking into the train option. We're doing this as a family trip [with daughter coming in from Europe, and another from a day's drive from us] to be together to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. I want to make the most of our time there. You certainly steered me in the right direction last year, when we went to Arches, which we absolutely LOVED! Did you ever get to the bird preserve?
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:33 AM

LoisL,

I haven't been to the bird reserve.

A lot of people like the train ride for the "experience" of it, but if you have limited time, I'd spend it at the canyon.

Utahtea
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Utahtea:

Do you recommend the opposite route: enter thru the east entrance and leave thru the south? Would there be less of a wait?

Thanks,

MichelleY
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Looks like we'll plan to take the 180 route from Sedona to GC...hoping it won't be too much of a crush around noon on a Wednesday. We originally would have been coming from the north and planned to use the east entrance, but plans changed. I think we'll plan to drive out that way, though, and back down to Flagstaff. Thanks all!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Michelle Y,

I like going in on the southern entrance and exiting on the east at Desert View because of the panoramic vista you see as you decend down to Cameron. When you drive in on the east entrance it's in your rear view mirrow.

We've entered the park at the southern entrance in early August and there wasn't much of a wait. We had our National Park pass and could go thru the quick "National Park Pass" line which was no wait at all.

Utahtea
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 09:29 PM

Thanks Utahtea. I knew you would come thru for me. I've checked this site about 4 or 5 times today anxiously awaiting your expert advice!!! That makes sense in order to enjoy the view heading back to Sedona. I also cancelled doing a bus tour along the rim with Xanterra in order to do more on our own, per your advice on other posts. We will be staying over night at the GC at Bright Angel lodge. I am really looking forward to it.

I also enjoyed your website with photos of your trips.

Thanks again,

MichelleY
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 10:51 PM

Michelle Y,

Thank you, I'm glad you liked my website. I know I enjoy viewing the most places on my own and I hope you do too.

Utahtea