route from Las Vegas to Bryce

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am advising some friends in planning their trip to the USA which includes some time in Las Vegas and Utah. They plan to drive from LV to Bryce and then stop off at Zion on the way back to LV. Here's my question.

What's the best (and fastest) route from LV to Bryce - route 9 including the Zion canyon scenic drive, which I know is a pretty slow route, or continue up I15 to Cedar City and then cut east on route 14 to Long Valley Junction?
I know that the Cedar City route is a little longer, but I also know that the other route is slower. As I said, they will visit Zion on the way back to LV.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 06:29 AM

Take the second option via Cedar City. It's not much longer and but you avoid those horrible hairpin turns through Zion. They will experiance that on the way back anyway (once is enough).
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

That's what I thought. Thanks!

If I remember correctly, you pay in only one direction on the scenic route (route 9). If that's correct, can you tell me which direction that is, and how much the toll is?
Don't misunderstand me. That won't decide which route they take. I just want to provide them with a full "briefing" before they get there.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Sorry, don't remember. I think we had to stop on the way in west bound - but that's just a guess. I have a card that gets me into all National Parks for free, so I didn't pay anyway.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM

The entrance free Zion is $25.00 and is good for 7 days. There are fee collection stations at both entrances to Zion on Hwy 9. The fee for Bryce is $25.00 also. If your friends will be visiting any other National Park or National Monument, it would probably be worth it for them to get the America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Annual Pass - Cost $80.

As for routes, here are the miles and approx. times:

Hwy 9 though Zion 246 miles approx 5 hours. This would be my choice because I just can't get enough of driving in and out of this park. I think driving up and down the switchbacks are great.

I-15 past Paragonah and cut across on Hwy 20 is 262 miles and approx. 4 hours and 45 minutes. Probably the fastest route and a lot less mountain driving than the next two options.

I-15 to Cedar City and over Hwy 14 is also 246 miles and approx. 5 1/2 hours driving time.

I-15 to Cedar City, Hwy 14, Hwy 148 right by Cedar Breaks National Monument, then 143 up to Panguitch. This route is 254 miles and a little over 5 hour drive. Might take longer if they decide to stop at Cedar Breaks.

Utahtea
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 05:24 AM

I agree with Utahtea....I love those switchbacks and what a wonderful teaser for them driving through and out of Zion. It would be very frustrating if they weren't returning.

Immediately as they exit the tunnel there's a neat short hike (Canyon Overlook) where they could stop to stretch their legs on the way to Bryce. If they miss it then, they should do it on the way back into Zion. The view from there is amazing. Here's a little preview for your friends:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah_tr&page=2
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM

I also vote for going the Hwy 9 route. It's the most scenic and not all that slow. Switchbacks? No big deal.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM

The route through Zion is incredible and well worth it, "horrible hairpin turns" and all. Sorry Liz - I can't imagine thinking that one time through Zion would be enough. I could (and have) experience that amazing drive over and over again. And it is certainly worth seeing from both directions, meaning leaving and entering through the east entrance. Don't suggest Hwy 15 - they'll really appreciate the drive through Zion especially after spending time in Las Vegas...