Need Help from Utahtea

Search

Need Help from Utahtea

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need Help from Utahtea

Friends of ours have 8 days to drive from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City and back...spending 2 nights in SLC. These are older folks not into hiking but they want to plan out the most scenic route for an enjoyable drive to and fro, staying in motels each night. Any advice you can give will be appreciated, they have never been north of Las Vegas.

Many thanks from Clark.
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Clark,

I think since they haven't been any farther north than Las Vegas that maybe they should take I-15 up to Salt Lake City for the route up there. It's almost 700 miles so they should be able to make it up there in two days. It's fast and easy. I would suggest spending the night in either St. George (390 miles) or Cedar City (445 miles) . St. George will have a larger selections of motels.

Two days in SLC, leaves us 4 days to get home.

I would suggest taking I-15 south to Hwy 50 near Scipio. Takey Hwy 50 to Salina and then pick up I-70 going east. I know this is a little out of the way but I-70 between here and Hwy 24 is very scenic. It's the San Rafeal Sweal which is a very scenic drive. Then take Hwy 24 south to Hanksville and on to Capitol Reef National Park and have them spend the night in Torrey. There are many new modern motels here to choose from. From SLC to Torrey is only 215 miles so they will have plenty of time to take the scenic drive into Capitol Reef and explore the petroglphys and old school house just off the highway. Depending on the time of the year, there are fruit orchards that you can walk around in and you are allowed to eat the fruit and you only have to pay for what you carry out.

From Torrey, Utah take scenic Hwy 12 over the Boulder Mountains. They might be interested in stopping at the Anasazi Indian Village State Park in the little town of Boulder, Utah.

From Boulder, UT to Escalante, UT is one of my favorite drives. There are a couple of scenic overlooks that are worth stopping at.

I'm sure they would enjoy stopping at Bryce Canyon National Park and going to a couple of the overlooks not far from the entrance station.

After Bryce they will continue on Hwy 12 to Hwy 89. South on Hwy 89 to Mt. Carmel Junction and then take Hwy 9 into Zion National Park. There are plenty of places in Springdale, Utah just outside the park entrance to spend the night.

The next morning they should plan on riding the free shuttle bus into Zion National Park and getting out at a few of the stops just to enjoy the views.

This gives them one more night on the road before getting home. Maybe Las Vegas if they want. This route from SLC to LA is 915 miles.

If they don't want to take I-15 home then they might like to spend the night in either Laughlin, NV or Lake Havasu, AZ.

Utahtea
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks.

Going in the opposite direction, northbound from Springdale to Torrey and taking scenic route 12...would you call that a difficult drive for two older persons? Lots of steep twisty turns?
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Clark, how old is older? I'm 71 but don't see any problem driving that route this coming October.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:40 PM

Here are some links to some pictures of the area.

1. Between Escalante and Calf Creek is this wonderful section of road that crossed the slickrock.

http://www.so-utah.com/hwy12/slickrck.jpg

2. The hogsback from the air.

http://www.so-utah.com/hwy12/hogsback/hogsair.jpg

"Highway 12 leaves Boulder and heads straight up and over the Boulder Mountains, topping off at 9,000 feet. The views of the surrounding areas area wonderful."

All this information was found at this WONDERFUL website.

http://www.so-utah.com/hwy12/homepage.html

Utahtea