Roseville/Sacramento Sun mid-day gathering & meal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Group of about 12 gathering either in Sac or Roseville this coming Sun for a little reunion, and afternoon meal. A couple of us are staying at the Larkspur Landing in Roseville. Suggestions for a spot for a good Sun mid-day or mid-afternoon meal where we can sit together, have real conversation, and eat at a leisurely pace? (Could have sworn I read a positive review on a Chinese rest. in Roseville that specializes in dim sum - did I dream that or is it real? So far haven't tracked it down.) Tnx.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Suggest you consider La Provence in Roseville. Very nice place with excellent french food. Sundays they have a brunch from 10:00 - 2:00.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Very Close By, Tahoe Joes.
Across from the Galleria is PF Changs.

Fats is probably the Dim Sunm. It's on Eureka which pretty close to Larkspur. Take Sunrise to Eureka turn left onto Eureka and go to east corner of Rocky Ridge and Eureka.

Actually you are so close to lots of dining.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Oops. I should probably say Fats is a great choice! Nice inside and yummy food. Actualy nice outside too but this time of year I'd be sneezing too much to eat outdoors!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Here's the link. You can see the menu & a map
http://www.fatsbistro.com/
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Kal

Ditto Fats or Le Provence.

Nice outdoor setting at Le Provence, weather permitting.

A Kal fave wine shop is on one side of the La Provenece building....even tho La Pro is located on the poor side of town...ooops...Sorry Suuuuuz. O

Ditto Tahoe Joe's...located in the same pkg lot as Larkspur. Small chain restaurant but good grub. A bit too loud for convo, IMHO.

Carver's Steak House is about a 1/2 mile away and if call first and you tell them you want a table for 12 in the back, they have been very accomodating for the Kal Family in the past.
Good meats and good wine list.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Have to reccomend Claim Jumper. One of our very favorites - huge portions and great food -kind of a 49ers/miners theme. There can be a wait, but you can always call ahead and get on their list - we used to go there almost every Sunday after church - rarely waited more than 10-15 mintues.
I can't wait to go there when we visit next month!!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:40 PM
ET

Given your description, go for La Provence. The others have good food but are crowded and too noisy for a relaxed meal with real conversation.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I don't believe Fats is too loud or crowded.

Hey Kal where is La Provence located? I've heard good things about it. Is it in with that Patrick James shop on Roseville Parkway?

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Hello SitkaSound, we have a Tahoe Joe's here in Vacaville and my major complaint is that they will not take reservations. Do not know if they will for a larger group like you will have however.

Other complaint is that one always feels rushed. Think it is because ( at least at dinner time) there is always a long line of patrons waiting for tables (again because of their no reservation policy). So if you order a glass of wine they try to push you to order the meal at the same time. If you tell them everyone wants to relax and have their wine or cocktail before odering they always seem to get an attitude problem.

Do not know if it is just the Vacaville restaurant or all the Tahoe Joe' but just wanted to mention it so you could at least check into that. And agree with Kal, the Vacaville restaurant is noisy too so I would think a group of 12 would have a hard time conversing.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Kal

Just took the Ol' Widow Kal to ClaimJumpers last Friday. Good call but loud on occasion.

Suuuuuz, La Pro is off Blue Oak near the Blue Oak/Woodcreek intersection. Near the newest Safeway shopping center.
"Diamond Creek Place"

The wine shop is Capitol Cellars. Marcus and Gretchen put on Sat afternoon wine tastings that can know you sox off. We had a "Sideways" pinot-palooza a few Sats ago.

They bought the DVD and had it playing the whole day while serving about 6 very good pinots.

You can order a cheese plate from them of you can order off of La Pro's menu and sit out on the porch.

The one by Patrick James is Secret Cellars. I'll still drop by there to pick up my "Bella".

Hmmm...I wonder if Sitka would like T Bistro or Cascades?

Piatti's? Macaroni Grill TOO LOUD!!!
Isn't there a new dim sum place near Rose/Rocklin border on Stanford Ranch road...or is it a sushi/sashmi place?
:-?

The old IHOP on Sunrise is now a Thai place that got good reviews from other family members.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Ditto on Kal's assessment of Mac Grill and Piatti being loud. Was at Piatti on Sat night and thought their host staff was very weak. Menu is super skimpy and not appealing. Sald with whole ahzelnuts was good though.

Carvers is good but that back room which we prefer is used by groups and is really loud.