Rosemary Beach worth it in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of four (children 13 and 11) thinking of going to Rosemary Beach in August. How hot is it? Is the beach dog-friendly? Is there a particular area in town anyone suggests staying? I would appreciate any input you have.

Thanks
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Where is it? Could you be thinking of Rosarita Beach? You may want to repost with a location.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM

I presume you are talking about the Florida Panhandle?
Are dogs allowed on the beach?
Dogs used to rule Walton Beaches, now there are dog rules. Canine friends are no longer free to roam the beaches and bars. Walton County sells dog permits to landowners. The dogs must wear a tag and are allowed on the beach, only on a leash, between 6 PM and 8 AM during Daylight Savings time periods and between 3 PM and 9 AM during Standard time periods. Many tourists don’t know about the ordinance or ignore it, and assume that County officials wouldn’t want to offend the tourists they try so hard to attract, by giving them a citation.
It is hot and humid in August. Usually mid to upper 90's although t-storms may cool it down. I think you should search for "Beaches of South Walton" for information. There are many places to stay along 30A from B&B's to top rated resorts. Good Luck.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess we'll leave the pooch at home. I am most interested in Rosemary beach because we have friends renting a place there. I've been looking at VRBO to find the right place. There is such a huge price range for 2 bedrooms that I was wondering if one part of the "town" was more desireable than another.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:02 AM

My guess is the price range depends on location to the water. If your friends are staying there, perhaps they can tell you if the houses you're finding on VRBO are in a good location.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:32 AM

Rosemary Beach is beautiful and you will love it. We don't have a dog and I have never noticed dogs at the beach so I am unsure of what the law may be. The beaches of Rosemary Beach and South Walton county are gorgeous!!! Fine white sand. There are lots of rentals in RB-- just go to VRBO and you won't have a problem in finding something.

Also you may be able to find a good deal on a rental. Most of the southern schools go back to school during the first two weeks of August which means that there aren't as many people wanting to rent the last two weeks of the month. In addition with the high cost of gas, people just aren't traveling as much. We were in Blue Mountain a couple of weeks ago (just up the road from RB) and the rentals were down. We got a great deal on a beautiful condo on the beach. And it seemed that everyone was offering a good deal. So I would suggest that you ask if this is the best price when you look into rentals.

Yes, the weather will be hot and humid... but the water is beautiful. And the evenings do cool off. And there is also AC when you need it.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM

Rosemary Beach is one of our favorite destinations - I am leaving on Thursday to be there for a week.

We have been traveling to the Panhandle every summer since 1992 and started going to Rosemary Beach in 2000 when very little of the town was built out. I have been in every period from June thru September and always had a great time. It will be hot in August, but you will get good gulf breezes and the temperature at night cools down nicely.

Prices on rentals do vary significantly, but a lot of VRBO listings give the address of the houses. The Rosemary Beach website includes a map of the town, so with a little bit of cross referencing, you can figure out where the houses are. You can also search for houses on the Rosemary Beach cottage rental site, although prices are higher than VRBO.

The "no dogs on the beach without a permit, and you have to be a So. Walton County property owner to bring your dog to the beach" is correct. We bring our dogs to Rosemary all the time - we just don't bring them to the beach.

As for where to stay in town, the only considerations you might have are proximity to 30A, which runs through the middle of town. Speed limit is 20 mph, but still a street nonetheless. Second consideration is proximity to the water. The closer the more expensive typically. If you end up a little ways from the water (say across 30A from the beach), I would consider renting bikes which makes it a short peddle to the beach.

If you haven't been to the area before, I would plan a trip to Seaside, going West on 30A - very kid friendly as well.

Finally, if you golf or play tennis, there are numerous nice golf courses not too far away and the tennis center runs a number of good clinics, round robins, etc...
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, sounds wonderful. The prices seem to be cheaper in Seacrest have you been there?
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 04:02 PM

i've stayed in Rosemary Beach, Seaside, Seagrove, and Grayton Beach. They all are pretty much the same. You drive on 30A and you go from one to the other and not know you've left one and entered the other! The only way you know is to read the sign saying Seaside, Seagrove, etc. We've stayed in July and it was hot but we had a pool and the beach was across the street. Hot but ok. Staying on the beach in a house is pricey but IMHO worth it.

Have fun.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

It's good to know they are so similar our friend is now staying at Seacrest Beach resort. If we stay anwhere in Rosemary Beach or in Seacrest is it all pretty close?

Thanks for all your help
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:03 AM

You might try posting your questions on the Trip Advisor Destin forum. Lots of locals with lots of info post to that site.

I agree with everyone here, though-Rosemary Beach is simply beautiful - you will have a great time!
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Just booked an apartment at the villages of south walton. I've been told that the unit is very close to the beach and right next door to rosemary beach. Anyone know anything about this?