Notices

romantic weekend

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 10:50 AM
allyc

romantic weekend

my husband and i would like to go away for a weekend this summer. we live in nyc and will need to drive to our destination, as i will be in my third trimester of pregnancy and unable to fly. we'd like something within two hours drive time. also, we'd like to be able to relax and eat well. any suggestions?

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You did not state a budget. If money is no object, the Mayflower Inn in Washington, CT might fit the bill. It is under 2 hours from NYC and its restaurant is first rate. The grounds are beautiful and it would be a great place just to relax. www.mayflowerinn.com
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Montauk???
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 01:28 PM
allyc

we want to splurge, so craig your suggestion looks good. i need to check it out. i am a bit hesitant to go out to montauk the hamptons. don't want to deal with crowds and traffic...

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 04:22 PM

Allyc, it's 3 hrs, but for a fabulous splurge, go to the Blantyre in Lenox, Mass. www.blantyre.com/ If you decide to go, check websites for discounts before booking directly. or...

what about Shelter Island. Much less crazy than the south fork. You can get there by taking the LIE to the end & traveling along the north fork to the ferry in Greenport. The Ram's Head Inn is like stepping back in time (40s-50s). Adirondack chairs on the lawn which sweeps down to the water. Food's not great but there are lots of other places to eat. For a funkier more casual atmosphere on Shelter island, the Sunset Beach Motel. It was a basic motel that's been renovated. I think the rooms are still small but "trendy". Great small beach (no surf)& fabulous, popular restaurant with a St. Barts type feel. Very European in feel with lots of Europeans (& young families) staying there.