Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

romantic restaurants San Diego? Where are they?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Keith

Wife and I will be in San Diego and I am looking for a romantic getaway for dinner. Do you have any suggestions for a romantic dinner for two in San Diego? A view would be great, but the atmosphere inside the restuarant is more important. Thanks

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:29 AM
katie

The Marine Room in La Jolla is awesome. If you're there during a really high tide the waves crash against the windows.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Gene F.

Give the Olive Garden at 585 I Street in Chula Vista a try.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:49 AM
marge

Yes The Marine Room is very romantic. Also Goerges at the Cove, in La Jolla too.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:53 AM
xxx

How about the Coronado Hotel. La Valencia in La Jolla. I second or third the Marine room.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Barbara

The Marine Room is a great suggestion. The Prado restaurant in Balboa Park is also very romantic. No view really, but the interior is beautiful and the outdoor terrace is very romantic. (There are plenty of heaters!) The food is delicious!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 04:16 PM
sd

Marine room at sunset, Azul also in La Jolla great view of the cliffs (dark at night though unless you're right up on the window). Bertrand's at Mister A's in Downtown. The Sky Room at La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla (major dollar).

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 12:31 PM
ttt

to the top

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 01:03 PM
formerSD

Mr.A's still there???? I use to live in San Diego, and that was the # 1 place to go at the time. I am surprised to hear it is still there. (Many years ago.) I can remember when the El Cortez Hotel was the tallest building. We are going way back.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Barbara

It's not actually Mr A's, they just kept it in the name because it was so well known. It was bought a couple of years ago by Bertrand Hug who owns Mille Fleurs in Rancho Santa Fe. The interior is completely different, but the food's good (expensive!) and the view's still fabulous.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 03:23 PM
x

They've also just renovated the El Cortez and it is now luxury apartments, with a fancy schmancy ballroom...no dances there but they honored Bill Clinton? once when he came to town.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 03:56 PM
formerSD

Well thanks for the update. Many years ago if someone took you to Mr. A's for dinner that was something very special. It was one of those "guess where he is taking me" type thing. I assume it is in the same location 4th or 5th Ave. around Balboa Park. I remember the planes flew in right over the building. As for the El Cortez, my Mother took me there for lunch when I was a young girl, and it was so thrilling to take the outside elevator. Well thanks for the sweet memories. Well back to Keith, Mr. A's would be on my list but it was always expensive.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Dick

For romantic, Star of the Sea certainly qualifies but for real romance and probably the best food in the area, try El Bizcocho at Rancho Bernardo Inn

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:39 PM
toppers

ttt

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:33 AM
toppers

to the top

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Wondering

Alice and I are wondering too, where is a good place for a romantic dinner in San Diego?

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 08:10 PM
tim

Pin' Wa in Rancho Santa Fe is excellent! I wouldnt say romantic but the atmosphere is perfect. And the food is clearly high quality. Each dish we ordered was flavorful, different and a true surprise and wonderful experience. It is worth the trip into that small town.

Hotel Del is great also.