Romantic resorts in Hawaii ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are celebrating our 30 annversary(!!!!). We would like to spend 10 days in Hawaii, Big island or Maui? Which resort do you suggest? We know already Kauai, we stayed at the Sheraton, and the Big Island, we stayed at The Marriott. I love the BI, my husband, Kauai. I am afraid of going to Maui and be disapionted as we love the other islands. On the other hand, we would like to make a change.
What resort do you suggest? We love calm waters to snorkel, and a ""very hawaian resort"(I know that's not easy). Our budget is about US$ 350/per night.
THANKS everyone!!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
MaureenB

On the Big Island, we have stayed at the Mauna Lani, and liked it. It has a snorkeling cove just a short walk up the beach. Also has a sandy beach on the property, with chair service. It's very nice. Next door to it is the Orchid, which looked a tad more exclusive.
>-

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Ike

Lery my wife and I have been from Mississippi to HI 3 times. I'm through myself because it's 13 long hours but my wife wants me to take her back to Lanai again. She fell in love with the Manele Bay Hotel. We registered at the Lodge at Koele but she made me move the next day to Manele Bay. Four Seasons runs it now. Looks like we will be going back in 08 for our 25th. Did you know The Ritz Carlton hotel in Maui is closing in July for 6/7 months for a $110 million renovation. We stayed at the Four Seasons Maui which was very nice but I will stay at the RC when we go back in 08. Good luck.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:22 AM

This place is out of your budget range, but I got married at the Kona Village Resort on the Big Island. Each room is an individual Polynesian hut, or hale`.

The snorkelling is excellent, there. You see plenty of Honu turtles while snorkelling and lazing on the beach. The reefs are beautiful and the fish are abundant.

The hales starts at $650/nt, but it includes three meals per day and many activities. If you stay on a Friday night, the luau is included. The food is excellent, too.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Lery, Happy Anniversary! My husband and I spent our 25th anniversary on the Big Island a few months ago. We spent 10 nights there (3 near Kona, 2 near VNP, 5 on Kohala Coast).

We loved our vacation. We stayed 5 nights at the Fairmont Orchid and we were very pleased with this resort. There was a deal where we had the 5th night free, so that helped with the budget.

We also love Kauai. Probably Kauai and the Big Island are our new favorites. We also have been to Maui twice and to Oahu once; we like them, too, but they're a little too busy for us.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM
poolboy

The most romantic and "Hawaiian" resort on Maui is the Hotel Hana Maui. Not your typical beach resort, but amazing in it's own right. We loved it.

Have you considered renting a house? For $350 you could get a fairly nice cottage or home that would be very romantic, private and probably very "Hawaiian".

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

poolboy,
I checked tha Hana Maui hotel and loved it. How is the weather there in September? Is the beach close to the hotel? Is it good for snorkelling? How long does it take to drive to Lahaina? How is the road? Any comments are very wellcome!!!
THANKS
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:56 PM

lery, not to be sarcastic or anything, but have you heard of the Road to Hana? Check it out if you haven't.

Four Seasons on the Big Island is wonderful - but out of your budget.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Hi, lery - my husband and I stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince on the BI, and it was quite nice; the beach was one of the prettiest I've ever seen.

If you decide on Maui, I'd stay in Wailea - it's a beautiful part of the island that is less developed than some of the other areas on Maui. We stayed at the Maui Renaissance for our honeymoon and were able to snorkel right off the beach there.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM

On Kauai the Grand Hyatt is my fav

On the Big Isle there are so many....in your budget would be the Hilton Waikaloa

Maui .....The Grand Wailea

Aloha!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM
poolboy

lery,

I'll answer without sarcasm.

The weather on that part of island (windward) is usually rainier than the west (Lahaina) or south (Wailea) part. I've not been there in September, so I have no idea what the weather is likely to be. I was there in February this year and the temperature was few degrees cooler than in Wailea and it rained a lot at night and periodically throughout the day. Typical for that part of that island.

The beach that the hotel uses is called Hamoa and it is a lovely beach. It is about 2 miles from the hotel and the hotel has a shuttle that will take you there. The waves can be fierce there and it can be a dangerous place to swim. I have seen pictures of it in the summer and it is a lot calmer than it was in February. I don't think you can snorkel there.

The drive over on the Hana Highway is legendary for its scenery, waterfalls, curves, one way bridges and slow going. Many people do this as a long day trip from other parts of the island. I'd allow between 3 and 4 hours to get there.

This last time we flew over from the main airport in Kahalui and rented a car there.

It is a fairly isolated place and seeing that this is your first trip to Maui, I would recommend staying in one of the more established areas like Wailea and then come to Hana for a couple or few days and as part of the trip.

Check out the destination part of this website for some basic information on Hana. There is a ton of information about Hana out there.

Hope this helps.

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 12:15 PM
poolboy

ttt

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM

Mauna Lani resort on the Kohala Coast of the Big Island.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:05 PM

I've in Hawaii all my life. After visiting the major islands (sorry can't help with Molokai), I decided that on a BIG anniversary I'd like to go to the Princeville Hotel on Kauai (http://www.princeville.com/hotel.html). We see ocean and mountains all the time here, but at Princeville the views are just breathtaking. The hotel is very upscale and quietly elegant. I've not checked out the prices there, but that will depend on the time of year you plan to go there anyway.

Another great romantic getaway has already been suggested. We enjoyed the Manele Bay Hotel on Lanai (http://www.fourseasons.com/lanai). The snorkeling is great and the island is rather slow and quiet. We saw dolfins spinning in the bay while we were having lunch!

A different kind of accommodation would be a bed and breakfast in coffee country on the Big Island. I've stayed at Holualoa Inn (http://www.holualoainn.com). Get the room upstairs with the view of the entire coast line. The decor is Asian and Polynesian, and even though the site is somewhat remote and in the mountains, the Inn is "civilized" with a lovely pool are jacuzzi area.