Romantic Hotel in San Francisco

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Dirk Lee

Romantic Hotel in San Francisco

Would we be better off staying "outside" SF? I am considering Mark Hopkins, but wanted opinions...

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 11:45 AM
SF Native

Mark Hopkins is a great choice. I have no idea why you'd want to stay "outside" the city and have to commute in each time you wanted to do something. Makes no sense!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 11:52 AM
former nyc resident

I think this must be a follow on to a post from two days ago...the only place I would ever consider outside SF might be in Sausalito or the wine country but then you would have a "reverse commute"! It is not always easy to get taxis in SF, so I would stay at the Mark, get on their emailing list, they have great specials and the location is perfect.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Rocky

D-
2 hotels I wud consider for romantic
Huntington Hotel.Across from The Mark.Very intimate.Pricey,yes.But romance is not necessarily inexpensive.Or,The Donatello on Post not far from Union Square.Both hotels are very European.Not as pricey as the Huntington.Large rooms good Italian restaurant.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:28 PM
BB

Stay in the city. Definitely. Take a look at the Park Hyatt.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Khy

The Majestic is very romantic and comfortable. The place is filled with antiques and character. A stay at this location can be very reasonably priced, and the staff was both helpful and friendly. Staying at this hotel was a memorable experience.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 09:31 PM
JJ

Although the Mark Hopkins is not a bad hotel, I do not think that it is a romantic place. You will have better luck finding a romantic hotel outside of San Francisco. I would recommend either Sonoma or Napa. Look at the website below for more information.

http://www.napavalley.com/visitorsin...onservice.html

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 05:27 AM
former nyc resident

The Majestic is also a good suggestion, I think the Sherman House is #1 for romance. I still like the Mark because of reasonable pricing and great location and amazing views (best of any hotel). There are just so so many WONDERFUL restaurants in SF, you want to save as much money as possible to enjoy them and the local wines from Napa, Sonoma and other regions which are produced in high quality-small quantity and are virtually never found outside the state. I would put more research into dining, and remember that doing Napa in a day is VERY STRESSFUL because of the traffic there and coming back. I might spend a night in Napa, The Silverado is a famous resort and there are lots of charming B&Bs. Try to go midweek when it will be less jammed. If you go in summer, SF will be cold, chilly, foggy and Napa will be in the 100 degree plus category! I liked the suggestion of the Donatello and the Huntington also but do save money for dining and shopping. The very best moments I have EVER had in many, many trips to SF are in the morning. I like to get up, put on my running shoes and head straight to Fisherman's Wharf, in the early morning they are washing everything down and there will be no one in your way, views of the Golden Gate to cry for, and then make your way back and up to Coit Tower! You will feel like the king of the world. Head back up Nob Hill to your hotel, take a long hot bath! then walk down to Chinatown and find out from someone, somewhere, a REALLY GOOD place and indulge in that neighborhood and a wonderful meal. Be sure to have Sat or Sun Brunch on Union Street and visit all the shops and galleries there. Also be sure to do the huge hike out to the Cliff House (where SF meets the sea) and watch the fog roll in at sunset over bloody mary's, shrimp cocktail and the cries of sea lions. At night spring for amazing Japanese, Italian or fushion. As I always say in these posts, Gourmet Magazine is the best source for new dining spots in San Francisco, and if you write them directly via email, they will give you a quick personal response with their favorite picks.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Kim

The Mark Hopkins is INCREDIBLY romantic. Great views, a beautiful lobby and very comfortable rooms. The rooftop bar (Top of the Mark) is known worldwide as a good place for couples to enjoy the view.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Kathy

I have stayed at the Mark Hopkins a number of times and felt that it was not a romantic place. I like the idea of staying in the Wine Country. It's really difficult to find a romantic hotel in SF. The Napa and Sonoma areas are very romantic and offer lots of great little hotels and Inns. Also, the weather in SF, especially in the summer is anything but romantic. When it is foggy, windy and drizzly in SF it will be about 75 or 80 very comfortable degrees in Wine Country. Former NYC resident is exagerating in saying that temps in Napa will be 100 + degrees. In all the time that my family has lived in Napa it rarely ever been that hot.

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Jed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirk-

Where did you stay and what was your experience?
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 10:18 AM

Another vote for The Sherman House.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 10:29 AM
SAB

Add another vote for the Sherman House, very lovely.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 12:09 PM

My husband and I spent the first 4 days of our honeymoon at the Ritz Carlton. We stayed in a club level suite. A splurge, but it was unforgettable.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 08:51 AM

We also stayed at the Ritz Carlton hotel for 4 nights for our honeymoon and it was great! Location was perfect and we were treated like royalty. They even had champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and rose petals scattered on the bed for our arrival. We got a package price with full breakfast (SUPER!!!), but I'm sure it's quite expensive now...
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:07 AM

This post is from 2002.