Reload this Page >

romantic getaway outside NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 1999, 05:47 PM
Amita

Hi, I live in NYC and I'm looking for someplace to take a romantic long weekend outside the city, but preferably within a 2-3 hour drive. I know of some great places to go in the summer, but I am looking for something in January. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 05:49 AM
Sorda

Depends on what you mean by romantic, but anyway....

Don't underestimate the drama, prettiness of winter beaches -- and perhaps you can get a "deal" out at the end of Long Island. But my suggestion: Mohonk Mountain House near New Paltz. Old-style big wooden mountain lodge, romantic to sit by the fire if socked in with fog or blizzard, nice to walk around on the trails if weather is okay.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 05:56 AM
irena

Mohonk House is very, very over priced. Rooms are extremely small for the price. It will cost you around $300 for 1 night. But the grounds and hiking trails are soooooo beautiful. It is a romantic for sure. If you don't mind a tiny room and meals that are just OK go for it. If I had money I would too.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 09:41 AM
elaine

Amita,

Bucks County, Pennsylvania has many lovely inns and is within a 2-3 hr. drive. A good website to check is:
http://visitbucks.com/

Perhaps this may interest you.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 09:43 AM
elaine

Amita,

Bucks County, PA has many lovely inns within a 2-3 hour drive of NYC.
If interested, check out:
http://visitbucks.com/

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 10:03 AM
Jeff

I personally believe that many of the summer places are very nice in the off season. One that comes to mind is Newport, RI. In fact, you can stay in a room that you could not normally afford and have a nice dinner and walk around the nice town. We stayed at the Hydrangea Inn in Newport which has very Bed and Breakfast type rooms except for one. The one room on the top floor has a whirlpool in the living room area, many couches, chairs, etc., phone, cable tv, steam shower and autom. fireplace. It was in a b + b so you still got the intimate feeling. I went in the end of October so I don't know how the added chill will affect the weekend. I suggest this because it will be cold anywhere around NYC

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 10:04 AM
lola

Newport Rhode Island is within your time range and has some of the most romantic inns and bed and breakfasts in the country. You can visit the grand "cottages" walk along the beach, warm up in a whirlpool by a fireplace in your room, for off-season rates.

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 08:57 AM
Casey

Amita,

Cape May, New Jersey is a great place any season. Check out the website http://capemay.com and it will give you a list of B&B's to look into. Have fun where ever you decide.

Old Jan 1st, 2000, 10:01 PM
Amita

Thanks to everyone who responded! I'm still not sure where we're going to go, but I got some great ideas here.