Reload this Page >

Romantic Dinner - Honolulu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:20 AM
Brian

Hi, Appreciate your suggestions for a romantic/intimate dinner venue - not million dollar venues but somewhere nice, not too noisy, good service/food/wine etc

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:48 PM
gail

My daughter just had a wonderful dinner at Bali at the Hilton. It was comp, so it probably is expensive, but she said the food and service were great.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:54 PM
Craig

Try the Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani Hotel on Kaimana Beach - it's just beyond Waikiki on the Diamond Head end. The lanai is very romantic, with tables nestled under the ancient tree and you are right at sand level, separated by a decorative stone railing. Reserve early to ensure a table on the lanai, but the lounge bar area a few steps above it is not bad for view either. A spectacular place to watch the sun set over Waikiki and the water.

Another spot is the old Willows where diners wend their way to the table through beautiful gardens and koi ponds. It's a bit off the beaten path but taxis find it easily. See Fodor's review.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:05 PM
Sam

Sam Choy's Diamond Head. No view but great food very upscale

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:13 AM
sam

Another vote for the Hau Tree Lanai.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:47 AM
Melissa

Diamond Head Grill (at the W)
Sheraton Waikiki Hanohano Room
Bali (yes, expensive but good)
Sarrento's (Ilikai Hotel)
Aaron's (Ala Moana Hotel)
Nick's Fishmarket (no view)
Matteo's (no view)
Surf Room (Royal Hawaiian Hotel)
Orchids (Halekulani)
Prince Court (Prince Hotel)

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:23 PM
jeff

My favorite is still Michele's. It is just past the strip down by diamond head. Open air resturaunt 20 feet from the ocean. Get a reservation just before sunset and watch Waikiki light up as the sun goes down.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:23 PM
lisa

A second vote for Orchids at Halekulani Hotel. The food was faboulous and the restaurant is open to the beach.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:27 PM
Les

It's been a while since I've been to Honolulu, but I agree with the previous posters re. the Halekulani.
Also try Hy's (a block off the beach on Kuhio Ave) for steak, and Rudy's for Italian.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:29 PM
Melissa

Oh, I forgot about Hy's! That's good, too. But again, no view.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 01:37 AM
whinosaur

My fave romantic place is La Mer at the Halekulani. Fabulous food, great service and presentation, overpriced wines. Expect to pay around $400, including (mediocre) wine. Would go back in a heartbeat, tho(as long as the boyfriend pays - hee!). Atmosphere is calm, quiet and definitely romantic.

One notch down is Michel's (at Colony Surf?) great sunset view, beach outside your window, and if you go on a Friday nite, you'll be able to see the weekly fireworks off Hilton in the distance. The lobster bisque is to die for. I think we paid around $200 (which also included some decent wines and bubblies)

You can get away for under $100 at Cafe Miro in Kaimuki. REALLY small place on the main drag(Waialae Ave). Last dined there in Jan, and the prix fixe(sp?) ran around $40 for a 3 or 4 course meal. The duck is always good there, and their homemade pate is a must-order. They also make the BEST creme brulee (albeit really TINY) on the island. We used to bring our own wine, but I believe they have a few labels now. Be warned, tho, NO VIEW. Atmosphere inside is nice, but nothing to write home about.

While you're there, up the street there's a great little Italian place called C&C Pasta. Reservations are a MUST. Also in the area is 3660 on the Rise, great reputation, but I haven't been there yet.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Amanda

Looking for more information on the 'old willows' place. I couldn't find the write-up in fodor's. Any more info would be appreciated.

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 09:51 AM
elaine

i agree with both the hau tree lani {outside with wonderful view}, and la mer, which probably costs at least 200 more. the food was better at la mer but not that much better.