Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

north of Bar Harbor... Maine's "Big Sur"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 04:15 PM
michelle/nyc

in my research I came across a National Geographic book which focuses on scenic drives... and one that interested me was the coast north of Bar Harbor. has anyone been here? is it worth a day trip from Bar Harbor/Acadia? if so, what would you recommend? thanks...

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:02 PM

never heard of it, but sounds interesting.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Robin

Hi Michelle--

I just returned from Maine, and, as it happens, saw the same book you did, and was also intrigued! I have a partial answer for you. We did drive north of Acadia to Schoodic Point (which technically is part of Acadia National Park), following the drive described. Unfortunately we ran out of time that day, and didn't make it to the northernmost part of the drive. What we saw was beautiful, and reminiscent of Big Sur, although that's probably a bit of an overstatement. I did get the impression that the further you go Down East, and the more remote the territory becomes, the more rugged and impressive the coast.

Even with this partial impression I think it might be a good day trip, just because the area is so different from either the national park or Bar Harbor and its activities. I was particularly interested in visiting the winery mentioned on the drive, but we didn't get there. Sounds like fun though.

If you are interested, yesterday I posted a full report of my trip called "Wonderful Sailing Trip to Maine". It wasn't all sailing, and it might help you.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:08 AM
michelle/nyc

yes, I saw your post yesterday... and was extremely jealous! I was in Maine a few years ago and I'm returning for just 5 days at the end of this month... I was interested in doing possibly a windjammer, but my friend couldn't be convinced. I'm keeping your information handy for a future trip. we're stopping the first night in Portland, then Bar Harbor for 2 nights and Camden for the 4th night... I know it's a lot of area to cover in such a short amount of time, but don't mind since I've visited before. thanks again...

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 10:19 AM
elaine

we have driven all the way up to Lubce and on into Canada. other than Schoodic, which is fairly close, I wouldn't do it again. we love Maine and are going back next week. hope you have a great trip.