Search

Chicago Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Tina

Chicago Hotels

Would like comments or feedback about The Omni or Sutton Place hotels.How is the location?How are the rooms?Does anyone know if the new W Hotel on the lake is actually open.They are not taking reservations until Oct.

Thanks Tina

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 01:13 PM
chad

the W is in the loop

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 02:24 PM
patg

As I understand it, there will be two W hotels - one in the loop and one on Lake Shore Drive, at what looks to be the site of the former Days Inn.

When I drove by in August, the latter looked under construction. I haven't seen an opening date posted.

Omni and Sutton Place are both very well-located, not on Michigan Avenue, but an easy walk from its best shopping. In fact, being right on Michigan Avenue is overrated since it can be very noisy at night.

I am not too familiar with the Omni but would recommend Sutton Place.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 03:29 AM
maggi

We recently stayed at the Omni and were very impressed. It actually is on Michigan, the entrance is just around the corner on a side street. The rooms are well insulated and we enjoyed peace and quiet in a corner mini-suite. We had a sitting room with TV, separated by the bedroom with French doors. There was a TV in the bedroom as well. The bathroom was roomy and well appointed with plush towels and bathrobes. The bed was extremely comfortable. We enjoyed the rooftop indoor pool and jacuzzi and sunbathed outside on the roof, which overlooked all the action downtown. Shopping is very accessible, with Crate and Barrel just steps away, and lots of shopping in every direction from the hotel. Granted, it was much more expensive than some of the other places we stayed. Red Roof (formerly Motel 6) is just a few blocks away across Michigan Avenue and also well situated, at 1/3 of the price. The room, of course, could not compare to the Omni. It is best to check prices at www.hotrooms.com. I think they have the best rates for hotels in Chicago.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Sue

The W on Lakeshore is supposed to open on October 1st.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Wendi

Planning a weekend to Chicago.I understand hotel location can be key to enjoy shopping,restaurants and sites.The Omni and Sutton Place sound good from this thread so how are their locations?Also,how's The Monaco or any other hotels for around $175 to $225 ?

Thank You

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 06:56 PM
nan

In Maggi's post she mentions the former Motel 6, now Red Roof Inn. There was a recent media report that one of those places was infested with bedbugs. I don't want to denigrate the new business but I would check with the health department before I stayed there. No kidding.

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 03:19 AM
maggi

Well, there were definitely no bed bugs in our hotel - I would have been out of there in 2 seconds! All in all, it was not a bad budget place to stay.

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 12:16 PM
w

Back to the question