Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rolling Thunder on Sunday- how bad will traffic be?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were planning to spend the day at the museums tomorrow but are a little concerned about Rolling Thunder and how extra crowded DC will be given the multiple road closures. I know we'll need to park our car at a metro and take the metro in, but I'm curious about others' experience being in DC during Rolling Thunder.
Old May 27th, 2017, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can tell you when we lived in Arlington you might not even know it was happening.

HERE is the info re the "road closures" you talked about:

"Motorcyclists will cross the Arlington Memorial Bridge to 23rd Street NW, go north to Constitution Avenue NW, east to Pennsylvania Avenue, then right onto Third Street SW and west on Independence Avenue SW to parking fields in West Potomac Park.

The roads along the route will close as the bikers pass. Good viewing points include the Arlington Memorial Bridge and Constitution Avenue. The ride usually continues until about 3:30 p.m. Expect to see large numbers of motorcycles on roads throughout the area during the entire weekend."

Yes, you should park elsewhere and take the Metro in ANYWAY. But unless you are along the route when the bikes pass I don't see any need to worry much but perhaps you are looking for other information.
Old May 27th, 2017, 11:46 AM

If you are going to the FDR or the VietNam or even the Lincoln then there may be some real impact.
Old May 27th, 2017, 12:55 PM

I'm not sure what you mean about how bad traffic will be, some roads are closed and most people are having a quiet Sunday at home.

So obviously traffic isn't bad at all on the roads that are closed due to it. Most people who live here don't go into DC to watch Rolling Thunder. I watch it on TV, as I imagine a lot of others do, but a lot of people in DC are tourists. A lot of tourists luckily don't drive cars into DC. Since you plan to take metro from the suburbs, I'm not following you on the traffic problems.
Old May 27th, 2017, 06:47 PM

Christina, stay IN your home since you don't ever go nearby how would you know what things are like there?
Old May 28th, 2017, 02:25 AM

I happened to be in DC some years ago for Rolling Thunder - and was near VietNam memorial. Watching a bunch of bikers in that demographic seeking and touching specific names on the wall was very moving.

DC traffic is never fun, but except for inaugurations and very major events, the nature of the road system and their experience with events makes for generally manageable routing and crowds. Enjoy your day.
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A lot of tourists luckily don't drive cars into DC. Since you plan to take metro from the suburbs, I'm not following you on the traffic problems.

@Christina: The OP's question was a reasonable one.

Even if they were metro-ing in and out of the city, they might have cause to take a taxi or uber while in the city and could be impacted by the Rolling Thunder street closures.

People using the Big Bus and other tour companies have most definitely been impacted by the RT street closures on Constitution and Independence as well as Memorial and 14th Street Bridges.

For the life of me, I have never understood your negativity and skepticism of people asking travel questions on a travel forum.

If the answer isn't pertinent to this poster, it could be to another reader.

For the record, the National Mall is packed today.