Search

Washington DC Driving and Parking Help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC Driving and Parking Help

Hello,

I am planning a road trip for the weekend of 9/11. Certain plans are already set, but I could really use some help from those of you who know the area in and around DC for more detailed planning.
On Friday 9/9, driving from Lancaster PA to Annapolis MD, early dinner in Annapolis, and then to a hotel. Most likely hotel at this time is in New Carrollton, as it works with the Metro and is in budget. Saturday 9/10, Orange Line to downtown, do the tourist thing.

Sunday 9/11 is where it gets tricky. My mom would really like to go to mass (Catholic), and then we would like to go to Arlington. We are fine with getting to an early mass, and then to Arlington early, especially if traffic is good. She likes the idea of a cathedral, but is happy with any Roman Catholic parish. St Matthews has the better time (8:30), but the Basilica has better parking (7:30). Ideas and opinions here please? I'm not sure how bad traffic is on an early Sunday morning, or how bad parking will be. A small search showed me that most parking garages are closed on Sundays. Also, after Arlington, we are planning to head south towards Fredericksburg for the night to visit friends.

On Monday, leaving Fredericksburg, again an early start is OK, as is driving through MD to Baltimore rather than the beltway. What is the best timing to not hit major traffic in both DC and Baltimore? We will be driving through NJ, and also want to miss evening rush hour near NYC on our way north. I know, somewhere we will hit traffic, I'm just trying to minimize that if possible.

As far as what I'm used to - I live in the country, but I've made it through LA, Phoenix, Philly, Northern Jersey, and Cleveland by car without issues, as well as the L in Chicago.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and have a nice day
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Basilica also has a 9am service. And both have 5:15pm/5:30pm Saturday night services if you're going to be in the general area at that time anyway.

Traffic won't be a worry early on Sunday morning.

How early on Monday are you willing to get started?
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 10:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Sunday mornings esp early there will be minimal traffic. Parking just depends upon where you are. Pick a location for the church and then we may be able to help you. In terms of garages on Sundays, many may be closed but some are open. You may just need to search a bit. Here's a good place to start
http://washingtondc.bestparking.com

I don't drive to DC from Fredericksburg, but rush hour in the DC area starts as early as 7 if not a little before and only gets heavier as the morning progresses. I95 is esp bad. Around 10 am it lightens up a bit. So I would say the earlier the start the better you will be. My experience in Baltimore is that even in rush hour in the city itself traffic tends to move and is not horribly heavy as compared to DC.

What route are you planning on taking from Fredricksburg to Baltimore?
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
She likes the idea of a cathedral, but is happy with any Roman Catholic parish. St Matthews has the better time (8:30), but the Basilica has better parking (7:30).

St. Matthews is lovely. Assuming your parallel parking skills are honed, I think you ought to be able to find street parking in the area on Sunday morning. Or, based on the map the above poster linked to, there is a garage open on Sunday at 1616 P St NW. That would be a 5-10 minute walk to St. Matthews.

As others have said, no issue with Sunday morning traffic. But do check ahead of time to make sure there is no one-off thing going on that might impact things -- a marathon or similar event that would interrupt normal traffic flow, especially leaving the city headed to Arlington.

What route are you planning on taking from Fredricksburg to Baltimore?

Presumably across the Potomoc east of F/burg and up 301? He said he planned to drive "driving through MD to Baltimore rather than the beltway."

If you are talking about the MD 301 trip: Waldorf, MD and environs are DC bedroom communities. You are still going to see rush traffic on that route. Lots of crawling through stoplights during the height of it. I think leaving F/burg after 8 am you'd be in good shape to miss the worst of it.
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 02:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it weren't for the necessity of driving south you could have done both mass at the Shrine and the cemetery by Metro.