Search

Rogue River Area

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM
gg3
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rogue River Area

Will be spending 4-5 days in Rogue River area and need help deciding a central location to stay in Sept. We want to go to Crater Lake, jet boat on Rogue, go see the Redwoods and enjoy the Pacific coast. I would really appreciate any help. I have researched til I am exhausted, so need help from you folks who know the area.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:15 PM

What do you want to do? Ashland has the most attractions, and will cost the most for lodging. If Food, Drink and Entertainment are less important than outdoor activities, Medford is cheaper, less charming, but centrally located. Grants Pass is the North End of the Valley and is closer to the Redwoods, Rogue, and The Ocean, but furthest to Ashland and the Theatres. Do you need a motel, hotel, or B & B? Interested in Food? River Rafting? Horses?
Are you driving or Flying? Fill in the blanks and we can help.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:09 AM
gg3
Original Poster

Thank you for responding. We have just located a place to stay in Brookings. Need help on good places to eat, best jet boat trips, great tidepooling places, is Crescent City a great place to view the Redwoods ??? We are flying into PDX from Dallas, then driving to Newport for a few days, then on down to the S. Coast. Thanks
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 06:48 AM
GP

Hi gg3

Just outside of Crescent City up 199 is Jed Smith State Park. It is a great spot for the redwoods. Vist the Stout grove. Hike along mill creek or for a real adventure and some HUGE redoods hike to the boyscout tree 7+ miles round trip. Crater Lake is not a day trip from Brookings.

Have Fun
GP
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:20 AM

I dont know if there is much difference in the jet boat operators - I have always gone with Jerrys and was very happy with their service- make sure you do the all day trip. It really is fun!!

We had dinner at a great place in Gold Beach but cant think of the name of it-
it was on the river, beautiful setting,
I will think about it and see if I can come up with the name.

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:35 AM

We ate at the Riverview Restaurant in Gold Beach- its probably one of the nicer restaurants along the coast .
Although its on the river, seals were swimming around the marina and a family of raccoons sat outside the window- fun evening.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:15 PM

great trip. ensure you stop to see hecata head lighthouse for great scenery. if your going down the coast believe me when i say you must take the bandon to charleston scenic route. near sunset bay s.p. there are cliffs above the ocean you can walk out to for free and watch large sea lions in their natural habitat swimming and lounging on the rocks below. you'll hear them barking before you see them if your windows are down-dont miss it! stout grove is awesome like gp said and pretty close to crescent city. best place to stay in c.c. is the crescent city motel-only one on the beach-and its clean with good size rooms and all are ocean view for a great price.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Like sunbum says, neither jetboat company is probably any better than the other, but since I personally know one of the guys who drives (captains) for Jerry's, use them.

My most memorable breakfast from a road trip last summer was the one at the restaurant/diner at the bottom of the hill going down into the marina area. Can't remember the name, but the operator is a huge NASCAR fan, and I think it's evident from the building's signage.

Make Crater Lake an overnight stop on the way back to PDX. From Brookings (or Gold Beach) all the locals recommend going down 101 to Crescent City and taking 199 NE to Grants Pass and on. As GP says, first you'll pass Jed Smith State Park and the redwoods, then drive along Smith River: beautiful.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Ooops! That breakfast spot is in Brookings.